United States
Sequence of events:

1. Bought new Yi 4K
2. Did some basic testing, setup etc.
3. Recorded a clip or two (few seconds) to test video - seemed ok
4. Took camera to race track and mounted in car
5. Recorded video

Then things went wrong:
- The camera recorded for ~7 minutes, then shut itself off.
- Watching the 7 minute video, the audio is completely garbled and shuts off completely ~10 seconds before the video does.
- Now the camera will not turn on with the battery in it.

If I turn the camera on without battery inserted, it shuts off as soon as I push the battery into the holder about 3/4 deep. Suspecting this might be an issue with the battery and/or charging circuit, I also inserted the battery backwards so the electrical contacts wouldn't touch and same issue - camera shuts off as soon as the battery is about 3/4 deep into the holder.

Anybody else have seen this?
Contacting the ebay seller now, but not sure I'll get a refund or anything :(

I *really* like the touch screen and picture quality of the camera, but of course non of that does me any good if the cameras are fragile or prone to defects like this...

Faulty camera, return for refund or replacement. If the seller won't accept returns, use ebay's money back guarantee asap.

There have been hardware issue regarding power on/off issues and battery.

First thing to do is contact Yi support and get a return if you can.

If for whatever reason you cant return it then some people have fixed issues by doing the following:

1. Battery and swicth on/off issues resolved by removing the front cover of the Yi4K and loosening the four front screws (in each corner on the front of the camera) by a half to full turn each. This was advised to one user from Yi themselves, the solution worked however be careful as there is a tamper sticker on one screw that will break and invalidate any warranty, but if you had warranty then you would return it anyway..
2. Camera not turning on when fully charged battery is inserted, doesnt power on when on USB but if you remove the battery and insert USB then it powers on. I personally had this issue on mine, the solution for me was to remove the battery from the camera, plug into USB power, turn on the camera. Do a camera reset. Switch off, remove the USB power. Insert battery and turn on the camera. This worked for me.

Good luck

Strangely I had the same battery problem and removed the wrapper around the battery and it has worked fine ever since.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Z Yi 4K Action Camera 0
C Yi 4K Action Camera 1
D Yi 4K Action Camera 45
Back