Broken window, VS1 on guard!

Paul Iddon

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Viofo A139 Pro 4K, A129 Pro Duo 4K, A229 Duo 2K, & NB 522GW
I had my drivers window broken by a stone thrown from a garden strimmer but it would be 2 days before it could be replaced.

Meant the car had to sit outside the house with no window in it, so I connected my VS1 to a powerbank and stuck it to the house window to watch the car for 2 days and nights.

It did a perfect job, recording non stop!

Thanks to @viofo for a great product!

Paul.

20240805_112234.jpg

a stone thrown from a garden strimmer
What sort of strimmer?

I don't expect them to throw stones hard enough for that, but then my neighbour does have a rather powerful backpack strimmer, sometimes with a metal blade!

Better it hit the car than a person...

What sort of strimmer?

I don't expect them to throw stones hard enough for that, but then my neighbour does have a rather powerful backpack strimmer, sometimes with a metal blade!

Better it hit the car than a person...

A full sized Stihl petrol strimmer. Tall as the man carrying it!

A full sized Stihl petrol strimmer. Tall as the man carrying it!

Those things can pack quite a punch when they kick up stones. My truck was once hit by one when I drove by a guy working with one along the road and it left quite a dent. I happen to have a Stihl similar to the one you mention and when I work with it out along the gravel/dirt road I live on I always let off the trigger when a car drives by.

That would have the power, but I think you still need to fit some extra thick line or blades, the standard reasonably thin nylon line is supposed to avoid issues like that!

The chap is on my doorbell video (1 minute long) apologising profusely, poor chap!

The company he works for paid the bill of course..

Paul.

That would have the power, but I think you still need to fit some extra thick line or blades, the standard reasonably thin nylon line is supposed to avoid issues like that!

Not necessarily. My machine requires 0.80 trimmer line and it has a lot of power to kick stones and debris as well as to cut through rather thick, even woody weeds. I've never heard or read anything about how the trimmer line is designed not to throw stones. On the contrary, the package the stuff comes in as well as the machine's owners manual always feature precautions and warnings about wearing adequate protective gear. I always wear protective goggles and a logging helmet that has a mesh face shield.

...My machine requires 0.80 trimmer line and it has a lot of power to kick stones and debris as well as to cut through rather thick, even woody weeds...
Years ago I broke a window when my trimmer hit an acorn laying in the grass and launched it towards the house at a distance of about 40-50 25 feet.

Edit: Correction - I just measured the distance using Google Earth and it's only 25 feet.

Last edited:
My machine requires 0.80 trimmer line
:unsure: That would be really thin if in metric, but 0.8 inches would be pretty solid :eek:

What units are you using? Stihl is German, so it should be mm...

:unsure: That would be really thin if in metric, but 0.8 inches would be pretty solid :eek:

What units are you using? Stihl is German, so it should be mm...

This is the USA so it's in inches, although the size in mm is usually featured on the packaging as well, Nigel.

You're not gonna' start with yet another one of your insufferable pissing matches over the metric system again, are you? Nobody really cares to hear this kind of thing from you anymore.

BTW, just because I own a Stihl is irrelevant. Trimmer line is a commodity item that is used in all brands regardless of where they are manufactured.

trimmer-line.jpg

Back