BulletHD limited to 15 minute recordings?

loki_racer

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm about to pull the trigger on a BulletHD, but have a serious concern. After reading through forums and the BulletHD site, it appears that recording length is limited to 15 minutes. Is this true? After 15 minutes of recording, it starts overwriting the file?

after 15 minutes of recording it would start the next file, it won't overwrite until the card is full, it will then delete the first file recorded to make way for a new file

Yes overwriting should only happen when SD card is full and the camera need to make room for new recordings, and it then delete the oldest files on the memory card.
So to get what you fear you will have to use a 2 Gb SD card, and i don't even think you can find that small SD cards today, but you should go for a 64 or 128 Gb card so you have several / many hours of footage before overwriting happen.
How many hours you can have on a SD card depend on bitrate, but on 64 you can at least have 4 hours.
On this site there is a calculator that let you figure out how many hours you can expect to be able to store on a given size SD card before its full and will need manual emptying or automatic deletion of older files to make room for new recordings.
https://dashcamtalk.com/recording-time-calculator/

Myself i prefer 3 minute video segments, and then bulk splice ( automatic ) those with registrator viewer if i need to make a longer video out of XX smaller clips, registrator viewer can also remove any segment overlap there might be on the individual files.
Some of my cameras have videos segments overlapping with 1000 ms, but with that number entered in "RV" it take care of that all on its own and output nice seamless footage.

if you have been on a long drive and get home, put the SD card in your card reader and start up registrator viewer.
it will then scan your computer for video files and bundle those up into sessions of driving ( looking at time / date stamp on footage )
So your several hour drive will appear as 1 session in "RV" and then to save that as 1 file all you have to do is make a few clicks with the mouse.
"RV" do not recompress your footage, it will work with the raw footage and output the same ( bitrate & file format )

Sadly the Russian maker of "RV" was killed in a MC accident last year so there is no longer support for the software, but i do think it can handle the footage from bullet HD cameras too.

Last edited:
Cool, thanks guys. I appreciate you getting back to me with more information.

Looks like I'll pull the trigger today and buy a BulletHD.

Cool :cool: Be safe out there.

Back