Buying direct from Korea

Cardigan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What are the pitfalls; what questions should I ask; what should I ensure I get; is it worth it or will I regrest it; is there a list of trusted vendors on this site?

I note that some Korean sellers state 'Korean Version' which obvioulsy means that the language will be Korean but also infers that there are other versions?

I am in the UK.

Anyone here from the UK who has bought direct from Korea - did you get stung for the vat on arrival?

I bought three cameras. Two - from apple-ct, no problems with customs. Third - from siddha_trading and paid 23 pounds extra

Cardigan said:
What are the pitfalls; what questions should I ask; what should I ensure I get; is it worth it or will I regrest it; is there a list of trusted vendors on this site?

I note that some Korean sellers state 'Korean Version' which obvioulsy means that the language will be Korean but also infers that there are other versions?

I am in the UK.

Unauthorised selllers in Korea sell Korean domestic cameras which obviously speak Korean The Blackvue firmware can be altered to speak English Dont know about other makes.

Advantages Cheaper

Disadvantages You need to be able to follow the instructions on how to hack the firmware to get it to speak English

IF you arent comfortable doing that buy one in your own country

I bought my Korean model from http://www.astrobile.com who now has an English/ Russian version However it may have the Russian hacked firmware You would have to check

Last edited by a moderator:
Had to pay customs charge on a few items..

Itronics from Korea - Apple-CT (Parcelforce) - £22.66
Lukas from Korea - Green-Sum (DHL) - £0 no charge
Finevu from Canada - Blackboxmycar (Parcelforce) - £34.46

Edit: Just had a letter from DHL asking for £33.
Funny they invoice me after delivering the cam. :lol:

Just got my Lukas from apple ct, no charges to pay. Not available domestically anyway I don't think so direct from Korea was the only option.

If you were worried about the warranty.. and having to send it back to Korea.. I have a "premier" current account (that gives me+family worldwide travel insurance, mobile phone insurance and gadget insurance for £9.50 a month) and I have logged in and registered it under the category "personal video recorder". If it breaks or is accidentally damaged the bank will send me the money for a new one (I think there's a £50 excess if you claim but that's acceptable on a £150 camera). Maybe you could do something similar or Squaretrade on eBay is another option.

Yeah, the only problem is if something goes wrong, you would have to eat the cost of sending it to Korea. You would probably pay the cost for them to send a replacement or yours back once its fixed. Its certainly a gamble.

My Itronics ITB arrived at GBLALA at 6pm on the 7th May.

Does anyone know where is / what is GBLALA and how long does it take to get from there to me?

Cardigan said:
My Itronics ITB arrived at GBLALA at 6pm on the 7th May.

Does anyone know where is / what is GBLALA and how long does it take to get from there to me?

According to Google it's Heathrow airport so I hope you're in the UK :-)

Upto a week I guess to clear customs and including a few days for royal mail to deliver.

I bet it comes Monday.

HTH

Edit :

See here : https://mobile.twitter.com/RoyalMail/st ... 0782914560

By the way royal mail doesn't have a tracking arrangement with many Far East countries so the tracking might not update from this point.

If it's EMS it will come parcel force and track on their site. http://Www.Track-trace.Com/post is cool for tracking from both sides at the sane time.

Royal mail if registered air mail and only the track details page has a chance of tracking it in the UK I think (NOT normal tracking link on RM site, looks the same but isn't) and it will probably stop updating at arrived in the UK : http://royalmail.com/trackdetails

HTH.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by a moderator:
Back