Bypass the hard wire kit?

MJDaniels

Reaction score
Country
United States
I’m thinking about using the hard wire kit to a Vantrue N4 Pro-4K or VIOFO 4K HDR Dash Cam depending on which camera I install.

Is it reasonable if I added a power on/off switch to the powered lead of either kit? Reason: I can’t see much sense to draw down my car battery for long periods when the car sits overnight in a locked garage. In those times I would want to totally unpower the camera from even the parking mode by turning the switch to “off”. At the same time, it would still give me the option of making use of the parking mode at the shopping mall or other if I chose just by turning the switch to “on”. An alternative I could install the hard wire kit as supplied without adding any switch, and then just pull the power connector out of the camera during times when I want no power at all going to it.

Has anyone heard if there are any issues with either of these solutions?

Thanks in advance

Not a good idea because you are quite likely to forget to turn it back on again at the start of the journey when you next need it recording!

The Viofo cameras can be turned off using the camera power switch, and then they will start up again next time you turn the ignition on. \
You can also set the parking duration timer to eg 3 hours, in which case it will turn itself off after 3 hours of parking mode, which for many people is enough and means it will never record all night, so your battery never gets low.

I don't know about the Vantrue.

Dashcams that have a timer function, it is most often up to 48 hours, even if i dont think any car battery will last that long if you use a sensible low voltage cut off value.
The systems that do not have a timer, sould get one ASAP. here i am looking at you Vantrue.

I personally use a 3 hour timer as it cover all my little stuff, and at home or other places i visit for longer have CCTV and furious Vikings living there.
I think it is pretty normal that if you have the system hard wired and parking guard turned on, if you shot down the car and the system change to parking guard a long press of the power button will turn things off for this one time.
CUZ for sure no need to have parking guard going parked in your garage or another secure place.

Back