Cam front and rear with incident file sending to smartphone or cloud

Chao_Phraya

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Hey Guys

After using my LUKAS-7900 for almost 10 years its time to buy a new one. I was quite happy with the 7900, used it mostly for driving with rental cars while abroad.

The new dashcam should have the following features:

1. front and rear cam
2. the possibilty that when an incident happens the dashcam send the file by WLAN to the smartphone
3. WLAN
4. tape style, not suction cup
5. cigarette socket charger for easy removal, I don't want an OBD power cable
6. as rental cars normally don't have any safety features would be great to have a cam with ADAS (especially the Forward Collision Warning System)

What I ve found so far:
MIO MiVue 866, 848 (seems MIO is not popular in the US...)
Garmin 57 + Mini 2 (not sure about the 2nd point (sending the file by WLAN to my smartphone), still waiting for an answer from the Garmin support
DDPAI X5 pro (not sure about the 2nd point either)

If you know any other dashcams with those features please let me know. I would appreciate it!

Chao_Phraya

Hey Guys

After using my LUKAS-7900 for almost 10 years its time to buy a new one. I was quite happy with the 7900, used it mostly for driving with rental cars while abroad.

The new dashcam should have the following features:

1. front and rear cam
2. the possibilty that when an incident happens the dashcam send the file by WLAN to the smartphone
3. WLAN
4. tape style, not suction cup
5. cigarette socket charger for easy removal, I don't want an OBD power cable
6. as rental cars normally don't have any safety features would be great to have a cam with ADAS (especially the Forward Collision Warning System)

What I ve found so far:
MIO MiVue 866, 848 (seems MIO is not popular in the US...)
Garmin 57 + Mini 2 (not sure about the 2nd point (sending the file by WLAN to my smartphone), still waiting for an answer from the Garmin support
DDPAI X5 pro (not sure about the 2nd point either)

If you know any other dashcams with those features please let me know. I would appreciate it!

Chao_Phraya
I wouldn't count on adas in any consumer dash cam to be worth much.

Front and rear cameras for rental car usage is a bit messy, unless you can settle for a 'taxi' type cam. (Both cameras in one body)

I have used old cams in the back glass of rental cars, powered by a power bank.

Living with jury rigged wiring is worse than the trouble of charging the power bank, if there is no power outlet near the back

Front and rear cameras for rental car usage is a bit messy, unless you can settle for a 'taxi' type cam. (Both cameras in one body)
Yes. the Viofo T130 Duo would work quite nicely, matches the whole requirements list...

I wouldn't count on adas in any consumer dash cam to be worth much.

I have used old cams in the back glass of rental cars, powered by a power bank.

Living with jury rigged wiring is worse than the trouble of charging the power bank, if there is no power outlet near the back

Thank you dash riposki! I normally rent a car for several month a year (btw in the country where you live;)) so its not a big deal for me to install the dashcam for this period of time. The possibilty that when an incident happens the dashcam send the file by WLAN to the smartphone is important for me as they might remove the SD card in case of an accident. You know how the people can easily get hot tempered in case of an incident, especially with some alcohol in the blood.

Yes. the Viofo T130 Duo would work quite nicely, matches the whole requirements list...
Thank you Nigel! What I ve seen is that it doesnt support 60fps for front camera, neither ADAS. 60 fps is better to see the plate numbers more clearly, right? I'm willing to pay up to 400 USD for the dual cam.

Thank you Nigel! What I ve seen is that it doesnt support 60fps for front camera, neither ADAS. 60 fps is better to see the plate numbers more clearly, right? I'm willing to pay up to 400 USD for the dual cam.
60fps is not required for accident recordings, only if you want to make nice movies, and even then is not essential. It does not make plates clearer, even though many people argue it does.
If you drive a race car on track then 60fps is desirable due to things happening so much faster.

Sorry, I forgot you asked for ADAS, but I agree with Dash R., ADAS on dashcams is pretty useless, you really need steering wheel feedback for it to be of any use, and even then it is of questionable use. Automatic braking/steering systems are useful, but a dashcam can't provide that, it needs to be built into the vehicle. I have tried some ADAS on dashcams, the only feature I've liked is the speed limit sign reading, but then it got very annoying when it started reading all the signs for the side roads when driving through the city, and after you have used it for a few days your brain just switches off and ignores it anyway! The best speed limit warning is GPS based, not camera based, and I use my phone satnav app for that. The only aftermarket device that might help is a sleep monitoring device, but it is much better not to drive when sleepy, stop and have a sleep instead!

The possibilty that when an incident happens the dashcam send the file by WLAN to the smartphone is important for me as they might remove the SD card in case of an accident.
Ahh, the Viofo T130 will not quite do that, and I don't know any dashcams that do. With the T130, and most other wifi enabled dashcams, you need to use the phone app, select the file you want to download to the phone and press download.

There are a few dashcams that will upload files to the cloud automatically, although I don't recommend them. You could look at the Blackvue dashcams.

they might remove the SD card in case of an accident. You know how the people can easily get hot tempered in case of an incident, especially with some alcohol in the blood.
I've never heard of that happening, just don't mention that you have a dashcam and they will never think of something like that while they are angry, probably wont anyway!

60fps is not required for accident recordings, only if you want to make nice movies, and even then is not essential. It does not make plates clearer, even though many people argue it does.
If you drive a race car on track then 60fps is desirable due to things happening so much faster.

Sorry, I forgot you asked for ADAS, but I agree with Dash R., ADAS on dashcams is pretty useless, you really need steering wheel feedback for it to be of any use, and even then it is of questionable use. Automatic braking/steering systems are useful, but a dashcam can't provide that, it needs to be built into the vehicle. I have tried some ADAS on dashcams, the only feature I've liked is the speed limit sign reading, but then it got very annoying when it started reading all the signs for the side roads when driving through the city, and after you have used it for a few days your brain just switches off and ignores it anyway! The best speed limit warning is GPS based, not camera based, and I use my phone satnav app for that. The only aftermarket device that might help is a sleep monitoring device, but it is much better not to drive when sleepy, stop and have a sleep instead!

Ahh, the Viofo T130 will not quite do that, and I don't know any dashcams that do. With the T130, and most other wifi enabled dashcams, you need to use the phone app, select the file you want to download to the phone and press download.

There are a few dashcams that will upload files to the cloud automatically, although I don't recommend them. You could look at the Blackvue dashcams.

I've never heard of that happening, just don't mention that you have a dashcam and they will never think of something like that while they are angry, probably wont anyway!

Thank you for all the informations, Nigel! I ve checked out the T130, looks good, the only problem is that it's hard to get it at the moment in my country. Not available on amazon. Well, I still have time an other month to do the order. An other great cam I found is the one from Cobra SC400d, however there is the same problem about availability and it's way more expensive.

the only problem is that it's hard to get it at the moment in my country.
You could try direct from Viofo:

Not sure where it gets delivered from, but it may be an EU dispatch, in which case returns should be easy, if required. Worth checking with Viofo Support if you are interested in that source.

Garmin Mini 2 might be good. It sends incidents over smartphone wifi, and is tiny and easy to move between rental cars. There is an optional sucker mount which you will want. You can get two and they link together, if you want front and rear.

Back