Camera mount position.

borik

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
2 A119's, A119 Pro
don't judge the video quality, this is my 3rd test with video editing.
smile3.gif

2 cameras mounted on the black dots just below the mirror and as close as possible to a mirror holder, about on the same horizontal line. in other words the cameras mounted as close to the center of the windshield as possible, and look how and what they see when I do a right turn. look how much of the postal truck each camera sees.
so, if you mount your camera to the left of the mirror it will look a little bit to the left, not straight forward, and the same for the camera on a right side of the mirror.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1m28o1ZX7gQOuSdPkY4V4Z8fSajliqY3i

so, if you have 2 cameras just for the windshield you may want to mount them as high as possible and as far to the sides as possible.
smile3.gif

You can see quite a difference between the two. I paused the vid at the crosswalk just before you turned to see the left and right limits. As someone who advocates a wide FOV if you have only one cam, this shows why you need that FOV, even at the cost of some distortion or loss of detail. Most crashes and incidents are at intersections so you need to see as much to the left and right as is possible. With two cams mounted widely apart, and with both aimed at the opposite side, you could get nearly a 180 degree view and you could use cams or lenses with a narrower FOV and better detail capture to do that. My side cams are aimed slightly forward to achieve something similar but it is not as optimum as that costs me some coverage to the rear.

With your central mounting here I certainly didn't expect this much difference, and it is certainly giving me some 'food for thought' this morning. Good job (y)

Phil

we need special mounts with left or right side thicker by 1mm, or 2mm, not sure how thicker it should be, the windshield curves are different, in this case you can mount the camera on the top of the windshield and left or right of the mirror yet have the camera pointed in a direction you want - it could be straight forward or even more to the side if you plan to mount 2 cameras, or one A129 with both lenses facing forward.
smile3.gif
in this case we may need a shorter data cable between a "front" and "rear" lenses.

With your central mounting here I certainly didn't expect this much difference, and it is certainly giving me some 'food for thought' this morning. Good job (y)
it caught my eyes when I tried to watch 2 videos at once. it became very clear that some of as need a mount with a sicker side to compensate the windshield curve.
and don't forget about vipers, those should clean the glass in front of a camera.

Last edited:
we need special mounts with left or right side thicker by 1mm, or 2mm

I suggested a hard mounting option back in 2017, there is no vibration, you can install the recorder anywhere, and it's very easy to center it.

21150-cfca5658b0c75a8671bce18eefaef398.jpg

Is that photo shopped? If not where did you find that mount?
This mount is from another registrar, it is not for sale, but Viopho could do it.

This mount is from another registrar, it is not for sale, but Viopho could do it.
any more details about the mount?
is it made of metal or plastic?

Only the "wedge cams" and remotes on simple brackets suffer this fate, almost every other type can be aimed at least slightly. IIRC someone here mentioned adding an extra strip of mounting tape to one side as a way to correct it. Others have used shims and wedges similarly,

I think that the cam manufacturers need to do something for this- it shouldn't be left up to their buyers to have to improvise. Very few people are like me, willing to alter something new to make it work better for the uses I'm putting it to. People say I can't leave anything alone after I get it but that is untrue- if it is made correctly then I will not be able to easily improve it, and THEN I will leave it alone :)

I'm happy to do design consultation for an adequate fee. Just PM me and have lots of money ready :ROFLMAO:

Phil

any more details about the mount?
is it made of metal or plastic?
It's plastic.
The fixation is fixed on the adhesive tape 3M, on the GPS module, it is also possible to mount without a GPS module

IMG_20170906_143250.jpg

measured the distance between the centers of the lenses of 2 cameras (in the first post's video), it's just 4.75" or 12 cm.

Back