Camera with heated screen

jimmids

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all , Apologies I posed previously about this but didn't include any images. I have a Range Rover with a heated screen (pic) , when I tried my Transcend Drivepro 220 I noticed that the image was really blurry - you couldn't read the registration of the vehicle infront. It was almost like it was focussing on the screen rather than further forward.
I know there's no manual focus and I tried moving it around the screen altering the distance etc , so im wondering if anyone else has a vehicle with a heated screen and has found a camera thats works.

Cheers

Jim

IMG_0627.JPG

No dashcam have auto focus they are all a fixed focus, but of course a thin "wire" right in front of the camera lens would create some problems as the camera can of course not "unsee" the heater "wire" so it will create a anomaly.
You also often see the issues on peoples rear cameras with the heater there ( even thicker "wires" )

I would suspect on a heated windscreen the "wires" would be much thinner but probably more of them, so trying to align the camera right in between 2 would be hard if not impossible.
Myself on my rear hatch the heater lines are a bit further from the top than the individual distance in between them, so i have managed to install cameras there above the top line, and fortunately my wiper still cover that area too.
As i got more 2 channel systems to test i have also managed to get other cameras installed in between 2 lines further down the rear glass and not having any line in the footage.
These are horizontal heater lines and a camera / dash camera have a wider horizontal field of view than the vertical field of view, so horizontal lines would be easier to accommodate i recon.
People driving a sedan with a fairly sloped rear window, probably have several lines in the field of view to contend with

I am unsure if a higher resolution sensor would behave better with this challenge, you cold experiment with your phone camera in manual focus set to good focus on something out ahead and then try to hold that camera close to the windscreen and see how that probably higher sensor handle the heater "wires"

I assume you tested in stationary mode, or following a car at the same speed, CUZ you do get motion blur in dashcams not least in low light, it is a simple fact based on the hardware used in dashcams, and something that is a problem for all dashcams.

Hi all , Apologies I posed previously about this but didn't include any images. I have a Range Rover with a heated screen (pic) , when I tried my Transcend Drivepro 220 I noticed that the image was really blurry - you couldn't read the registration of the vehicle infront. It was almost like it was focussing on the screen rather than further forward.
I know there's no manual focus and I tried moving it around the screen altering the distance etc , so im wondering if anyone else has a vehicle with a heated screen and has found a camera thats works.

Cheers

Jim

View attachment 60063
Can you send a screenshot from the camera video? It is possible the camera is out of focus and defective. As seen in every rear camera mount, heater wires will affect the video a bit. But these look much thinner than rear heater wires so I don't expect they would be the root of the problem.

Back