Can I cut off the 12V Power plug and wire direct, and USB charger cable question

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
SG9665GC V2
I received my new/replacement camera and have a question about getting power to it.

1) Can I cut off the cigarette/12V plug end of the supplied power cable and just wire directly to 12V key-on switched power? I assume there is nothing inside the 12V plug (like voltage reduction circuitry) that would require its use. There is a small rectangular box a few inches up the cable from the cigarette lighter port end that I assume to be the voltage regulator (reducing 12V to 5V). Should I add an in-line fuse (5A or 10A or ?). I would be connecting to the fused side of of one of the switched circuits in my fuse panel.

2) Can I use a standard USB type A to micro-USB cable, to temporarily power up the camera so I can test it (upgrade firmware, if needed), and format the memory card, etc., while sitting at my desktop computer. My computer USB port outputs 5VDC (I'm not sure what milli-amperage is needed by the camera).

Thanks

I cant recall about the old GC models if they had the 12 -> 5 V converter in the plug or not, but if there is a box a foot or 2 up the wire from the 12 V plug, then yes you can ditch the 12 V plug and wire into a ACC fuse.
I use 5A fuses for my hard wired cameras, and this can easy run 2 systems one 2 channel one 3 channel.

I always use a old wall wart charger from old phones / tablets to work on dashcams on the computer table, and i have also updated firmware's there, the one i use ATM is the one provided for my Mi9 phone, it even provide QC3 charging if the device you plug into it support that, if not its just another regular charger with a USB A plug so i can use any mini / micro / C wire i need to.
Using a PC port might just send the camera into mass storage mode, at least if it is a regular cable that also have the data wires, i would not attempt firmware on a camera connected that way.

...My computer USB port outputs 5VDC (I'm not sure what milli-amperage is needed by the camera).

Thanks

...Using a PC port might just send the camera into mass storage mode, at least if it is a regular cable that also have the data wires, i would not attempt firmware on a camera connected that way.
In addition to what @kamkar said, many PC USB ports don't output adequate amperage to power a dash cam. Most cams require 1.0A or 1.5A at a minimum and many computer ports output less than 1.0. As suggested, it's best to use a 'wall wart' with a known output.

Many newer computers, at least in the higher end can have a USB port that support faster charge rates, my HEDT motherboard from Gigabyte also have that even if it is rahter old now.

I do have a 120V charger plug that has a USB type A plug for my cell phone. Okay - I'm powered up now.

How do I get the firmware upgrade from my computer to the camera? I guess I can copy it to the memory card using a SD adapter for microSD card to plug it into my computer.
I'll check the firmware upgrade instructions (if there is an upgrade available). It's at version SG20191111.V4 now

How do I get the firmware upgrade from my computer to the camera? I guess I can copy it to the memory card using a SD adapter for microSD card to plug it into my computer.
Yep, copy to a uSD card.

I do have a 120V charger plug that has a USB type A plug for my cell phone. Okay - I'm powered up now.

I'll check the firmware upgrade instructions (if there is an upgrade available). It's at version SG20191111.V4 now

Here is a link to a .pdf file for the process: http://bit.ly/SG9665xxFirmwareUpdateProcess

Back