Can one device do it all?

Black Falcon

Reaction score
Country
United States
Prototype testing an engine add-on. Will be driving a 2005 VW Golf for 3,ooo miles and want to capture all the happenings of the engine and drive. Ideally, those not in the car can visit our website and see map with location of vehicle and vehicle's performance, 24/7 for the length of the trip:

1. Real-time vehicle tracking (ideally with Google Maps, or overlay). Investors and interested parties can see the movement of the vehicle 24/7 via my website.

2. Complete OBD for vehicle. Live-feed of diagnostics would be amazing, but I would settle for archive reporting.

3. Video recording of inside and outside of vehicle. Do not need a live-feed but definitely need the footage archived.

Can one device do it all??

I guess OP meant @ 3 to have also camera which records inside of vehicle. Basically 2 separate cameras or one 2ch system, one recording outside, the other inside ?

I guess OP meant @ 3 to have also camera which records inside of vehicle. Basically 2 separate cameras or one 2ch system, one recording outside, the other inside ?

where it records is easy, interested in his archiving plans though

Pleased to read you think #1 and #2 on one device is no problem! What device(s) do you recommend?

For #3, I'm thinking a GoPro will be easiest, and I already have it.

Last edited:
Qualcomm? Think they're based in San Diego area. They can't do the camera stuff, though. Whoever does the Drivecam is out in that area too, they have some OBD features.

Not finding a specific Telematics product. Which do you think? Need brand, make and model suggestions please.

there is a company I know of but the name escapes me, I guy I worked with previously was doing some stuff with them, I'll ask him what their name was

in the interim though look for fleet telematics solutions, there are others, this stuff isn't cheap though

I see some stuff pop up on google, but it's probably better for the poster to look and see what makes sense.

The tracking and camera stuff is fairly easy.

Yeah, been playing with APRS tracking stuff for years, but I'm more of an 'appliance operator'.

Maybe some OBD port to laptop hardware/software thing that automatically sends an email with the required data at set intervals?

Back