Can the BlackVue B-130X Battery Pack Be Charged at Home?

Elbeau

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is it possible to charge the B-130X at home and, if so, how? I don't see a port for the output end of a USB cable.

Sure, you just pick up an AC to DC adapter that outputs to a cig. lighter and then swap the cable going into the B-130X.

BlackboxMyCar-ProductImages-PowerInverter_1390x1390.jpg

Is it possible to charge the B-130X at home and, if so, how? I don't see a port for the output end of a USB cable.
Yes, it is possible to charge the B-130X using the provided cigarette lighter adapter (CLA) and a AC-to-DC power supply. I tested the BlackboxMyCar 14.6V/8.0A AC-to-DC charger and that successfully charges the B-130X.

Yes, it is possible to charge the B-130X using the provided cigarette lighter adapter (CLA) and a AC-to-DC power supply. I tested the BlackboxMyCar 14.6V/8.0A AC-to-DC charger and that successfully charges the B-130X.

Have you ever experimented with upping the input current on any battery pack when using an AC to DC adapter? I know the B-130X self sets its input current, but maybe with the other battery packs that have a High/Low option.

I've got two different adapters from other brands, including one that outputs at 12V / 10A. In theory that should be fine to charge a battery pack at 9-10A in, but I don't know of the cig. lighter cable itself would be happy with the higher current load. The specs page for that adapter does suggest to not charge >120W for a long period of time though and these battery packs pull close to 135-140W at max load so maybe the lower speeds would be better afterall. :) Maybe I just answered my own question while thinking aloud, lol.

Hey no fair, you guys are hogging all the easy questions. Lol

Yes, BlackboxMyCar offers a simple plug & play solution for charging battery packs “in the house”. Here’s my testing of their new 8 Amp (14.6 Volt) unit;

Have you ever experimented with upping the input current on any battery pack when using an AC to DC adapter? I know the B-130X self sets its input current, but maybe with the other battery packs that have a High/Low option.

I've got two different adapters from other brands, including one that outputs at 12V / 10A. In theory that should be fine to charge a battery pack at 9-10A in, but I don't know of the cig. lighter cable itself would be happy with the higher current load. The specs page for that adapter does suggest to not charge >120W for a long period of time though and these battery packs pull close to 135-140W at max load so maybe the lower speeds would be better afterall. :) Maybe I just answered my own question while thinking aloud, lol.
I just thought of something.
If you are using the CLA adapter with the 3-pin connector, the B-130X will recognize that the CLA is being used, and not the hardwire charging cable.
Thus it will utilize the "low" 5 Amp charge protocol so it should not climb to the full 10 Amp capability of the AC/DC charger.

I just thought of something.
If you are using the CLA adapter with the 3-pin connector, the B-130X will recognize that the CLA is being used, and not the hardwire charging cable.
Thus it will utilize the "low" 5 Amp charge protocol so it should not climb to the full 10 Amp capability of the AC/DC charger.
Right which makes it a bit easier to switch cables like this. :) What if you tried it with a PC8 or iVolt Xtra and left the charge speed switch set to High? Those don’t autosense the input cable like the B-130x

Right which makes it a bit easier to switch cables like this. :) What if you tried it with a PC8 or iVolt Xtra and left the charge speed switch set to High? Those don’t autosense the input cable like the B-130x
You're hurting my brain making me shift gears, and recalling my battery pack testing.
Right now my brain is focused on A119 Mini 2 testing.
I'm so jealous of you, and RCG because you guys are so good at multitasking.
I'm only a "mono-tasker". lol

So yeah, if you used the 12V 10A charger on the PC8 with the included CLA adapter and set the charge profile switch to high, yes I could see how the PC8 would request the full capacity (10 Amps) from the charger, and overheat the CLA adapter, wiring, and charger transformer body.

You're hurting my brain making me shift gears, and recalling my battery pack testing.
Right now my brain is focused on A119 Mini 2 testing.
I'm so jealous of you, and RCG because you guys are so good at multitasking.
I'm only a "mono-tasker". lol
haha not really. I’ve been working on my battery comparison for the past 2 weeks or so (hopefully done tomorrow!) so it’s all fresh. The A119 Mini 2 is on my WS collecting sample footage, but mentally I’m not there right now.

The PC8 does auto sense the XT60 connector type plugged into it. Even if you put the slide switch on "High" and plug in the CLA adapter with the third connector, the PC8 will restrict its charging to the 5-amp mode.

The Thinkware iVolt Xtra BAB-95 does not have the third connection pin in its XT60 connector so it can't auto sense the type of plug that's been inserted into it.

Last edited:
The PC8 does auto sense the XT60 connector type plugged into it. Even it you put the slide switch on "High" and plug in the CLA adapter with the third connector, the PC8 will restrict its charging to the 5-amp mode.

The Thinkware iVolt Xtra BAB-95 does not have the third connection pin in its XT60 connector so it can't auto sense the type of plug that's been inserted into it.
I had no idea! Gotta take a closer look at those connectors now. :) You learn something every day!

The PC8 does auto sense the XT60 connector type plugged into it. Even it you put the slide switch on "High" and plug in the CLA adapter with the third connector, the PC8 will restrict its charging to the 5-amp mode.
I totally forgot about this. lol

Back