Can Your Dash Cam See Through Frits?

pdmike

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Blackvue DR750S 2-CH
You know those little, black dots on your windshield in front of the rear view mirror? Know what those are? They are NOT antennae, as many think. Rather, they are called "frits" and they are there to block sun rays that aren't otherwise caught by your visors. Look it up. Anyway, what about mounting your dash cam on or near your rearview mirror? If you do that, and the camera is pointing through the black dots (the "frits"), is it going to affect the quality of your videos? I have seen videos on YouTube where the camera is installed directly behind the frits. I have been told not to install your camera in that fashion. Which is it? Any experience with this or thoughts on the subject?

Putting the dashcam looking through the frits is silly. Why bloc its lens? Just get the frits to cut out the top third of the picture

Putting the dashcam looking through the frits is silly. Why bloc its lens? Just get the frits to cut out the top third of the picture
Agreed. I wonder why the YouTube video had the cam looking right through the frits. Oh well ....

Any link to this video?

Agreed. I wonder why the YouTube video had the cam looking right through the frits. Oh well ....
Because the person who fitted it is stupid?

Well with a pinhole lens i think its possible to look thru the small openings of that area ( look up pinhole lens though their name is a dead giveaway )
But i assume it would be very hard to line up such a camera and since the lens starting point are so small a drop of bug strike in the wrong place would be a disaster.
The area are great to mount cameras on and have them peek put below it, it can also be a additional pain to clean up completely but not impossible, just harder than plain glass.

black.square.jpg

I imagine thats what it would look like.

Nar. It would have white dots on it where the lens is peeking through the holes, and thew aspect ratio would be 16x9:p

Back