Can't wait till spring !!

gosharpie97

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
Thinkware U1000
Hello all. Just picked up first dashcam and chose U1000 F/R which I plan on hardwiring in to fuse box for parking features. Car is in storage till ugly Canadian winter is over. Is there a way I can power up the unit in the warm house to get it, app settings, and wifi hotspot all set up and ready prior to installation ? This way when weather breaks I can drop in rear cam and wires and be ready? From what I've been reading there is a bit of a learning curve with hotspot and cloud app. Thanks....G

Welcome to DCT @gosharpie97 :)
If the cam powers through a USB-type port, a wall-type phone charger with the correct plug will do the trick. Try to find one with a 2A (2000mA) or higher rating.

Phil

The weather in ON is not good. I hear you. Hope you are safe on the east side.

You can get a 120 V to 12V adaptor from amazon or any home improvement stores. They are typically used to power small appliances like plug in 12V mini cooler for car or something like that.

Using that device you can plug your camera's cigar lighter into it and run it just like you have it wired into the car.

Well I ordered the adapter just waiting for it to arrive. Thanks for the input folks! Still flip-flopping on the micro sd to update to!

If you dont have a garage, then for sure working on a car is not fun this time of the year, even in equally northerly on the globe but still warmer Denmark.
In the 90ties i put a new exhaust on my 3 door German not so hot hatchback,,,,, curbside in a mild snowstorm, and i am the kind of guy that break out the thermal underwear when the temperature get below 20 deg C

Regarding the memory card, then you should look in the U1000 subforum, this brand are not one of the more acceptable ones in regard to just throwing in any decent memory card.

For easy installs, which in regard to power my car is prepared for as i have been testing for many years, well i have a underground garage at some stores in town and i have installed a few dashcams there.
But i do also have a lot of experience with that in my car, so a 2 channel system i can get in there in 15 - 20 minutes no problem.

I have 6 12 V outlets in my glove box, and 6 USB outlets with over 2 A that will also run a dashcam, the getting at fuses to be able to do parking guard, that is something new to me so only done that for 1 - 2 years with some cameras sent to me to beat on.
Hard wire like that do take a lot longer, and put a strain on my old decrepit body that is is not supposed to endure, but just have to due to the location of my fuse box

Id send it back before it fails if I were you. Their QC is awful, along with their customer service.
I purchased the U1000 with rear cam and radar in Jan 2022. It was faulty and had a grainy front cam image. They sent a replacement and told me it was new ......that did not work either. They later told me that they had sent a refurb unit. They promised the next would be new and work. Received that and installed it this week.......no good and did not work. Piece of junk and super disappointing especially with all the +ve reviews. Now they wont send a new one if I do not perform diagnostics myself for them.....I do not have time for this nonsense and have asked for a refund.

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles, but the U1000 is a very good camera.
I fear you are just very unlucky

Even i that luck in general have forsaken in anything, or at the very least love and gambling.
Well i have never had bad luck 3 times in a row, and for sure not with the same thing.
I will admit that with the driving i did when i was younger, particular in the 90ties, well it is a small wonder that i have never crashed a car or caused any accidents, i was so far gone i have even managed to drive on 2 wheels in my German not so hot hatch ( the 2 Left hand side wheels ) in a residential area, in a hurry to get to a place and smoke some weed.
Well i might have drained my luck account back then,,,,, or maybe i am a good driver.

I do have 7 parking tickets for the exact same place, all i learned from that was dont park there between 15:30 and 16:30 on weekdays :( But ! that is stupid and not bad luck.

Update !! So pulled car out of storage about a month ago, then we got more cold crap weather. I wanted to wait for some warmth so all camera mounts would adhere good. First day mounted rear cam and tucked cable away all the way to front camera area with extra cable tucked in driver A pillar. A+ on install if I must say so !! Next warm day a week later mounted front cam, tucked wire away in behind door molding down to fuse box and ready to hard wire with fuse taps. LOL thought my car had smaller fuses so already had those taps soldered on with heat shrinks ready to go. To my surprise Genesis has the low profile fuses, so then had to go back to Princess auto for two new LP taps and spare fuses. Out of LP fuses, off to Crappy Tire for those !! But got her all hooked up and works great with no issues other than while in parking mode opening/closing of door triggers a detection. Might try adjusting setting but not a huge issue yet.

Back