Car Alarms

JB-007

Reaction score
Country
United States
What is the best car alarm to add to a car as a secondary anti-theft device that will work separately and independently from the standard stock car alarm? Any suggestions? thank you

What do you want the car alarm to do, that your stock one doesn't?

You probably wouldn't get much benefit from a secondary alarm, but if you want to prevent your car from being stolen a dedicated anti-theft device can help.

Probably the best deterrent is a steering wheel lock or a steering wheel/brake lock.

wheellock2.jpg

wheellock1.jpg

Another option is a GPS/satellite tracker. This one connects via your OBD2 port and provides real time tracking and many other functions. Requires an activation fee and yearly subscription.

tracker.jpg

Last edited:
Have to agree, especially in these days of keyless.

If I had to park outside then a big yellow steering wheel lock would be used.......... which of course cancels out any time saving of keyless.

The latest Hondas have a key disable feature. Press both buttons together for 3 seconds and the light flashes 3 times = relay attack impossible.

If I was a thief for sure I would check the OBD from the car to see if is a GPS tracker mounted there.

Good point.

Actually, thinking further about this, these days you don't really need an OBD GPS tracking device with an expensive subscription. You could just hide an Apple Airtag somewhere in your car and track it anywhere on an iPhone.

There are also Android equivalents, although they may not have the range of the Apple network.

There are other small GPS trackers that don't require an OBD port. The value of the OBD port is really about being able to monitor the car's functions as well as to track the vehicle.

Reactions: Mtz
I do dislike the alarms that turn your car into a problem ( by honking the horn ) but i do like the ones that just notify me, as the auto pager alarm i had in my Opel in the 90ties did.
Once it went off as 2 kids was trying to steel my car,,,,,,,, i dont think they steal a car again, if the do / did, they are least thing long and hard about the possible severe consequences of that act :mad:

As @Dashmellow mentioned, a steering wheel lock is a low tech/low cost and high visibility/high effectiveness device to deter a vehicle theft. Another suggestion (many times it is impractical) is to move to a better neighborhood.​

In the US having a manual transmission is pretty much bulletproof ;)

I think that may depend on where you live. Living in a rural area as I do I find that many more people around here are familiar with driving a manual transmission, especially because of the abundance of trucks and older farm equipment, but the urban tourists tend to be completely clueless about stick shifts.

The manual transmission vehicles are really great. Unfortunately, they are on the endangered or extinction species list. Those new "high-tech" cars and trucks do not have this option. With manual transmission vehicles, I could have full control of my driving. Not any more.

Hehe here it is a Automatic that will save you,,,,, just kidding i think even the most stupid Dane can handle a Automatic.
Then again seeing dashcam compilations where people defiantly press the wrong brake pedal again and again,,,,, well make me have my doubts on the future of mankind.

I have also noticed CCTV footage of some family, living across the street from the camera house,,,,, the resident driver there are like OMG times 10

Taken down by the gentlemans code, which say you must always be nice to women, or suffer the consequences.

Back