Card Slow Error with Samsung Pro Endurance 256GB Suddenly

RX8tasy

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,

New to the forum and the Viofo dashcams. Bought A229 Plus 2ch and A119 Mini 2 from BBMC.

About the A229 Plus, I am running the latest firmware from Viofo website. The camera (just the front for now) is hardwired. The cam works without issues until recently when "card slow" pop-up message shows on the screen. I am using Samsung Pro Endurance 256GB microSD from legit channels (Samsung & Amazon as the seller). I first re-formatted the card internally in the cam, which did not help. Also changed the bit rate setting from normal to low, which did not help. Before suspecting the hardwire being the culprit and using power bank as the alternative to test, I popped out the memory card and re-inserted without reformatting. It has been working for a day for now. Prior to my fixes, even parking mode with AED (automatic event detection) would trigger the "card slow" error.

The cam has been working without issues for a while with the exact same combination (hardwire kit/memory card), so it is a little bewildering what happened all of a sudden. If the issue reoccurs, I will try different card, but just wanting to share my experience in case it is not an isolated episode.

Thank you for this forum as a great resource!

Seen that, but had my doubts.

If you compare spec of Sandisk Max Endurance vs Samsung Pro Endurance 256GB, the read/write speeds are the same with the longevity advantage going to Samsung at 140,160hr vs 120,000 hr of Sandisk. These are published figures from the manufacture.

Will watch and act accordingly. Critical thinking says that Sandisk Extreme is not meant for endurance usage, thus the recommendation list is suspect.

By the way, the sound notification does not warn about "card slow" error and the recording no longer working. I only noticed it with flashing recording LED light (second one from the left). That seems to be a big design flaw to not warn users about recording being impaired. Any ideas? I do have sound notification enabled.

By the way, the sound notification does not warn about "card slow" error and the recording no longer working. I only noticed it with flashing recording LED light (second one from the left). That seems to be a big design flaw to not warn users about recording being impaired. Any ideas? I do have sound notification enabled.
There is no voice notification for the "card slow", only for card error when the card shall be formatted. The notification is "Memory card error, please format the card". When the camera stops recording, the REC button will flash a red light and the camera will keep beeping.

If you compare spec of Sandisk Max Endurance vs Samsung Pro Endurance 256GB, the read/write speeds are the same with the longevity advantage going to Samsung at 140,160hr vs 120,000 hr of Sandisk. These are published figures from the manufacture.

Will watch and act accordingly. Critical thinking says that Sandisk Extreme is not meant for endurance usage, thus the recommendation list is suspect.
Ok, stay with you paper numbers, but don't blame the cam or the manufacturer.
You have a list based on tests done by manufacturer, you have a problem with a memory card that it is in that list as not recommended, but still you have your doubts. Jesus :))

Last edited:

More to it then just speed specs. Different cards use different types of memory and memory controllers. Some just do not play well with certain hardware.

Last edited:
Exactly

To Samsung's defence though, my 2 Viofo A119 V3's have worked flawlessly with 2 Samsung Evo Plus 128Gb cards (in the bad list) for many years. And they rarely get formatted, just cut/paste to the PC

A119 V3 and A229 Plus are completely different models and it is not correct to compare them.
Cards that work with a single-channel model do not always work with multi-channel models.
My Samsung Evo Plus memory card worked perfectly on V3 with Mod firmware with increased bitrate,
but it flatly refused to work in T130 in dual-channel mode.

Wasn't expecting the post to generate any controversy.

I am running single channel on the A229 Plus, normal bit rate at 2k @ 30fps, so nothing crazily demanding for write performance. If I have to swap out the memory card to something else, so be it. Just thought that I would share about my experience, since it was working swimmingly well until all of a sudden as I stated.

With an SDcard, it's not just the read and write speed that's critical, but overwrite resistance (not the right term) and thermal resistance.
The requirements are close to those of industrial cameras.

Plus fulfilling the requirement of occasional formatting, as writing to a formatted card is less demanding than overwriting older files.

SD card does not have an infinite lifespan

Last edited:
A friend tested a memory card: microSDXC UHS-I U3 SAMSUNG EVO PLUS 128 GB, MB-MC128HA/RU.
The speed of the new memory card was normal.
21507711.jpg
After 15 hours of testing in A119 V3 with a bitrate of 50 Mbit/sec, reading remained at the same level, but writing dropped by more than 10 times!
21518268.jpg

I would like to share, I took this screen shot back in December when I got my a229 plus. They must have realized it wasn't working and took it off the list within a month or so. But I wish the info was known sooner because I made the same purchase and started getting the "card slow" on my cam screen a couple weeks ago. I guess I'll be going for the sandisk max endurance. It would be smarter to just go with their brand, but man the price.. $46 for 128g?! Come on, thats crazy!
1000005009.jpg

Even their 256gb card gives my gf slow write speed errors with the mini 2 (latest firmware) I got her for xmas. I picked up a 2nd card at the same time I use in the a229 plus and havent had any issues. She has to format viofo's card like every 2 1/2 weeks. @VIOFO-Support @viofo

Even their 256gb card gives my gf slow write speed errors with the mini 2 (latest firmware) I got her for xmas. I picked up a 2nd card at the same time I use in the a229 plus and havent had any issues. She has to format viofo's card like every 2 1/2 weeks. @VIOFO-Support @viofo
It is better to format the card regularly even if you use our VIOFO cards. The camera does overwrite. However, as there are random file sizes, it often clogs the card up, and a format will return it to its original capacity and make it run smoothly again.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
0 A229 Plus 21
D A229 Plus 3
Back