case study of battery discharge running a dashcam constantly...

petepete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
very small 60AH battery on my car, running an alarm.
19 hours ago i measured my battery voltage at 12.29v and the cameras had racked up a combined 100 plus hours constant recording with the screen off at that point.
car has not been driven since and today with a further combined 38 hours recording the battery measures 12.25v.
Posts here might lead you to believe it necessary to use a powerpack, but the evidence i have seen and you are quite capable of seeing for yourself confirms at least 5 1/2 days recording is possible leaving capacity to start a car despite a very small battery and would also save the cost of a voltage cut off device that will not see action until well after 5 days has passed ....but maybe advisable to use one in winter months when a battery naturally responds to low temperature and cannot store its temperature rated capacity.

I hope this lays to rest the perpetuated myth that a dashcam running from a parked car is not a viable security option and more use is made of the camera from a security point of view - Its been my experience as much damage is likely to be done when the car is parked and its satisfying to know the culprit will leave his details in future.

Not sure if i posted up the cicuit to wire a couple of cameras to automatically switch to constant recording mode from ignition with an option to switch only parking mode off , but it if i did it is better placed below...

As the ignition is switched off and the relay de activates - there is NO loss of footage recorded and the system continues to record on the file it was using.

http://screencast.com/t/1zRx7qiGSp

I have since added a diode across the positive and negative of the relay actioning circuit to disipate residual current generated as the relay deactivates. (some relays are sold with this pre fitted.)

( figures quoted using 2 g1wh cameras and although i cant find any manufactures "normal declaration of wattage while in use" for electrical products, it is very easy to measure the current drawn and calculate and as a referance the g1wh uses 230ma (2.6 ish watts) with the screen displaying and a dam sight less (unmeasured) with just the screen off )

This is intended as a work around for the pitfalls mentioned on the forum when it comes to using the motion detector setting and insures you dont miss any action. It is also useful to keep an eye on other vehicles on a driveway.

Last edited:
2 cameras have now been run for a constant 92 hours , a rough equivalent of 1 camera for 184 hours and my car battery voltage is sat at 12.23 v - That is over a week.

worth mentioning the cameras are very slightly warm with an ambient temperature of 14 degrees celcius and i assume that is pretty normal.

It is not just a matter of whether there's enough power left to start the car, car batteries are not designed to be deep discharged, doing so can seriously reduce their life expectancy.

If I recall correctly, a car starter battery shouldn't be discharged by more than 20 - 25%, and even a deep discharge battery will last substantially longer if it is not regularly discharged below 50%.

From wikipedia :- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive_battery

Open-circuit voltage Approximate
charge Relative
acid density
12 V 6 V
12.66 V 6.32 V 100% 1.265 g/cm3
12.35 V 6.22 V 75% 1.225 g/cm3
12.10 V 6.12 V 50% 1.190 g/cm3
11.95 V 6.03 V 25% 1.155 g/cm3
11.70 V 6.00 V 0% 1.120 g/cm3

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/lead_based_batteries

You may want to consider having a separate deep cycle battery and a solar panel with a charge controller on the roof. That way any discharge of the battery from the camera does not hurt the car's ability to start. The solar panel has to be big enough to provide a full charge to the battery during the day and should cover for overcast days. I had a system like that on my car to drive my ham radio.

Absolutely agree... with mel

But it is very difficult to quantify the reduction of life expectancy especialy when you consider a modern 4 stage charger can charge and rescue a battery that a normal charger will be unable charge and lets face it, 90% of new and second hand cars will have spent some time on a car lot and will have had a jump start or two before the new owner ever takes possession - I remain suprised at the voltages on the car i am testing the dashcams on as the battery is 6 1/2 years old !

( Batteries are a great subject as most people dont understand how fast the rated capacity drops off with age or current draw, never mind temperature - for example, at zero degrees a brand new battery can be 40% down on its 25 degree rated capacity stamped on the label )

Ceasing the test as my battery has dropped to 12.11v after a total of 226 hours constant running. (9 days )

One point to note is enless the camera is in a well lit place it is pretty pointless running it overnight so its conceivable to fit a timer and stretch it to 18 days if it is set to turn off overnight !

To conclude..

I drove the car 40 minutes and its been stood the rest of the day...

The battery had time to settle all day and i just measured the voltage at back up to 12.54 v

Both cameras have now been running constantly 24/7 since before this thread started and are on about 9 days now...

They stay barely warm bar hot days which i would assume is perfectly normal..

As for the car battery, in this car we just do a couple of runs out a week , local shopping and and a few other very short runs and the battery stays well charged (2 cameras running) and i think anyone would be hard pushed to flatten a battery as most will use their car far more than we use this one...

Anyone like to bet how long the cameras last !

(cant see any reason they should not continue to function myself as cameras exist with parking mode which are on all the time bar writing the footage to sd card)

No racked up 30 days with no further problems..

It was a simple calculation to work out - if you averaged 30mph for the time they have run you would have covered 22,000 miles in that time..

Reliability doesnt seem to be a problem of the g1wh as they have run the equivalent of a years driving !

No car battery problems on the very low mileage i do around town...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Hardwiring and Batteries 2