Change 12v turnoff timer on car

Robonus

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Hey guys,

Only slight chance that anyone knows this here, but there's a lot of smart guys here so i'll try my luck ;-)

I've got a 2018 Ford Fiesta, with an ancient dashcam, which i'm going to replace soon.
The nice thing about the Fiesta is that at first, the cigarette lighter socket still gave power, for about 60 - 80 minutes áfter i'd shutdown and locked the car, and thus the cam kept recording. I liked this because that's about the amount of time i'll stay at the grocery store or most other stores. Thus having a sort of parking surveillance at high-risk parking places without hard wiring. I'm very sure of this because socket plug has a red LED on it, and it stayed on for that period of time, and also the recording corresponded with that time period.

But after the last car maintenance service, the socket is turned of immediately after turning of the car's ignition. The LED is turned off instantly, and because the old cam's battery is dead, it shuts down instantly.
I've googled my ass off, but can't find any adjustable setting for a shutdowntimer for the 12v cigarette lighter socket. Does anybody know if this can be changed manually, or should i ask it with the next maintenance service (which is a long time ahead)?

I would go back to the shop and ask them if it can be made to work as before. They should not have changed that function (or any others not related to driving operation) in doing any upgrades during service.

!2V timer boards can be had from Amazon, Ebay, and some electronics suppliers but I have no experience with them. All I can say is beware the cheapest anything like this as cheap electronics usually don't last long or work well.

Phil

Some times the dealer can reprogram such features in newer cars.
The old camera should shut down at once too even if it is a battery camera, that or the recommend capacitors they are just there to be able to finalize last recording in case of a big event where power might get lost.
At least thats the way in 99% of dashcams, but some have had a video recorder feature so you could use dashcam to walk around and film aftermath for a few minutes, but really you should do that with the smart phone most carry today.

Other cameras like street guardian have the 12 V to 5 V PSU in a little box up the wire, so you can cut off the plug that otherwise go into your dashboard socket, and then get a piggy back fuse adapter to tap into your fuse box ( and connect the black wire to ground some place to get -12 V there )
This way do not support parking mode, but it is neat if you want to keep your dashboard socket free for other stuff, or not have a wire across the dashboard.
Otherwise to use parking mode you need to get the hard wire kit that suit your camera from the same brand as the dashcam.

Most camera do however have the 12 V to 5 V PSU build into the plug itself that go into your dashboard socket.

Some of the new cameras also have a timer function for parking mode, i use this myself set to 1 hour as that cover all my shopping and save the little battery in my little car. ( have CCTV on car at home )

Thank for the explanation! Phil's probably right, should address it to the dealer but next maintenance is not due for a while.
Because it is a lease (company) car i don't want to hard-wire it. I'm not allowed to make any physical changes to the car.
I'll look into the other options.

Phone the dealer and explain your situation to the service manager. If the setting is dealer-programmable they can arrange a quick drop-in visit and reset it with just a few minutes work, and probably for free. The worst they can do is say "No".

If you have to buy and wire in your own timer that outlet won't work as a parking power source, so a HWK using fuse-taps would then be a better solution ;)

Phil

a HWK using fuse-taps would then be a better solution

It would probably also be cheaper, and safer with the option to go longer periods with a low voltage cut off.
I like i have the option to up the timer in my system should i feel i need it some day.

Back