Changing cut filter from lens to mount?

Lola

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Mobius, A119
@Dashmellow
Just a thought but I was wondering if it is practical (read that as being easy) to take out the original Mobius lens mount and install one with a cut IR filter in the mount instead of in the lens. Would sure make ordering lenses less hectic and you could get better filter material, any thoughts or experience along these lines, anyone?

Last edited:
@Dashmellow
Just a thought but I was wondering if it is practical (read that as being easy) to take out the original Mobius lens mount and install one with a cut IR filter in the mount instead of in the lens. Would sure make ordering lenses less hectic and you could get better filter material, any thoughts or experience along these lines, anyone?

Well, some cameras do have the IR-cut filter installed over the sensor instead of attached to the rear of the lens. In fact, just a few weeks ago I tore down another old CCTV camera and found exactly that. The cut filter was cemented to the sensor, except that it looks like there is also a piece of clear glass between the sensor and the cut filter with a small recessed gap possibly to protect the sensor from making contact because it gets hot.

I've never tried what you have in mind but I suppose it is possible. The lens holder on the Mobius lens module simply unscrews and gives you access directly to the sensor. I replaced the lens holder on a Mobius module with a beefier one when I installed that Varifocal lens on one of my Mobius cameras. If you can fit the IR-cut filter onto the sensor, cement it in place carefully and still have room to screw the holder back in place it should work. I don't know if you can have it make direct contact with the sensor though. It could end up causing some unexpected heat related problem or Newton Rings. Another option might be to try installing the filter inside the lens holder instead of directly to the sensor but that could be problematic too since it might get in the way of the lens, especially if the lens has a short back focal length.

This whole project would be a gamble and you risk ruining the module but that can be part of the fun, thrill and challenge of DIY projects like this, so good luck if you decide to try it. :)

Anyway, the lens holder looks about like this and you can just unscrew it from the rest of the module, like I said.

holder1.jpg holder3.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for al the information. I was thinking about it but am going to think some more before I decide to try it are not.
I believe you told me the screw spacing on the lens mount is 18mm, is this correct?

Oh, and something I forgot to tell you, if you would like to try a lens screw lock send me your address and I will send you a couple. I ordered a bunch and they came in yesterday.

@Lola, yes the Mobius lens module screws are 18mm apart.

Thanks for your offer of the lens screw lock but I'm good. :) I was looking at those on AliExpress thinking of picking some up when I realized that they probably wouldn't fit inside the housing of the Mobius I wanted to use one of them on. That beefier mount I installed in my camera could use a way to secure the ƒ/1.2 lens 6mm I installed after focusing, unlike the Varifocal that can be screwed in tight and zoomed and focused manually via the lens itself. I ended up buying some tiny hex set-screws at the hardware store and a matching drill bit and intend to create my own Mobius style mount that can secure the lens.

Back