Cloud capabilities parking and accident footage

Fractk

Reaction score
Country
United States
I’m probably wrong but doing research on dashcams it seems nothing meets my requirements.

Basically I want the cam to record to the cloud via cellular. The reason for this is after a collision one may not be in a state of mind where they would remember to take the SD card. One may not physically be in a position to take it even if they remember. Even if one remembers one may not have access to a computer to view said SD card for days.

My point being that SD card recording is predicated on a lot of assumptions needing to be met for it to be useful.

The second thing is for parking surveillance. I’m not too keen on needing to check on my car or watch anything live but that is a bonus.

This concept of impact triggered recording is not enough. Neither is time lapse continuous recording. That just kills batteries and wastes data/storage space.

Thinkware has the right idea with IR motion detection. Just capture scenes when motion is detected. However they lack a built in LTE/5G modem.

Blackvue has built in LTE but has a backwards parking monitoring system. Impact only triggered will miss a lot of the action. It may trigger it may not trigger who knows?

Why nobody has put both cellular modem and low powered IR motion detection together I can’t understand.

Besides that it seems both companies have half baked cloud solutions. One is free but limits incidents to 2 or 4/month? The other costs a monthly fee but doesn’t have an efficient parking monitoring trigger.

Both want you to connect via Wi-Fi which requires that you disable wireless CarPlay and go wired. I can actually live with that.

Thinkware would require me to install and power a WiFi hotspot.

Despite all the videos, articles and reviews out there nobody really hits on the actual functionality for these situations and whether these cameras work well and/or the software works well and/or the cloud software works well. I’ve seen reviews trashing certain aspects of these important facets of the products. Other reviews gloss over them.

I’m technically minded enough to cobble together a solution if need be.

It would be nice is there were an Apple or Samsung solution with all the front and back end integrated. Then again I wouldn’t want them to sneak in data collection as would happen if google or Amazon created a product. So I guess having a major manufacturer involved would involve privacy risk. The smaller ones too could sell data and telemetry.

I would also want it to be efficient on data sending only incident related video to the cloud and just dumping via home Wi-Fi all the low probability stuff to a server on my always running windows or Mac desktop.

Opening a phone app to download to a phone videos with tiny thumbnails and at times 1 minute clips is not a palatable solution.

Is there really no well thought out solution to this?

I say this because my last car one built in but it was useless. I never really took the SD card out and since recordings had to be manually initiated I never used it.

This time I want a proper solution and even if it’s going to be expensive or be a pain to set up i’m open to that. The lucky thing is the car will see home WiFi every evening.

Back