Cold start boot up time?

technoviewer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
From a cold start, does anyone know how long it takes to start recording? I've had previous dashcams that take quite a long time so just wanted to get a feel for the Blackvue.

From a cold start, does anyone know how long it takes to start recording? I've had previous dashcams that take quite a long time so just wanted to get a feel for the Blackvue.
Your Blackvue dashcam should start recording as soon as you start the dash cam or start your car.

If you have reason to have parking mode working on your dash cam, your dashcam is even working/recording when you are away from your car! During parking mode, your dashcam will only record if it detects motion or if a g-sensor is triggered while your car is parked, (ie, impact). This scenario applies if you have selected "motion detection /g sensor impact" for parking mode.

If you do not use parking mode, your dashcam turns on as soon as you turn on your car. From that moment on, your dashcam is working/recording. For various reasons, the files on your dashcam/sd card are only 1 minute in length.

I hope this helps some. Good luck!

Last edited:
From a cold start (fully powered off) to the point where it announces "starting normal recording" and it turns on the red recording LED:

DR900X-2CH - 28 seconds
DR900X-2CH Plus - 23 seconds

From a cold start (fully powered off) to the point where it announces "starting normal recording" and it turns on the red recording LED:

DR900X-2CH - 28 seconds
DR900X-2CH Plus - 23 seconds
Ah okay, so not quite the instant that other people indicated. I'm assuming it only starts to record when the red light starts flashing?

Ah okay, so not quite the instant that other people indicated. I'm assuming it only starts to record when the red light starts flashing?
I pulled the video files from those two dash cams. It appears the video recording starts at the beginning of the audio announcement "Blackvue for your safe driving....".

If you subtract 6 seconds from my previous time amounts, that appears to be when the camera starts recording.

DR900X-2CH - 22 seconds
DR900X-2CH Plus - 17 seconds

20 seconds sounds pretty instantaneous to me! - of course no one wants to be kept waiting, even for 20 seconds. lol

20 seconds sounds pretty instantaneous to me! - of course no one wants to be kept waiting, even for 20 seconds. lol
From turning the ignition on, I can be going 100MPH in 20 seconds, well over the speed limit, that is far from instantaneous!

If you're going 100 mph (or 160 kph in the UK) 20 seconds just after starting your car, I hope you have lots of dashcams to show exactly who was at fault if and when you get in an "accident"!

And here I thought most of the participants on this forum were pretty smart... actually I think "most" here are pretty smart.

Last edited:
I will have to start my little red car and then drive it off a cliff less than 4 foot away to get up to those speeds in 20 seconds.

If only it was a MG metro 6R4 i had, but i have 500 or so less horsepower's to do good with.

I think most people would agree that instantaneous means that something happens immediately. 20 seconds is definitely not immediate.

But with that aside, that still feels a lot quicker than my current dashcam which can take over twice as long. I always feel I'm ready to start driving away before the dashcam is ready. I reckon 20 seconds is enough to not hold me up too much.

I will have to start my little red car and then drive it off a cliff less than 4 foot away to get up to those speeds in 20 seconds.

If only it was a MG metro 6R4 i had, but i have 500 or so less horsepower's to do good with.
The MG 6R4 does 0 to 100MPH in 7.9 seconds, however after starting the engine you need to warm it up for several minutes before moving!

My MG is far slower, but if I am waiting at a red traffic light with the engine stopped, I do sometimes start the engine and get to 100 Km/h less than 10 seconds later, by which time a Viofo dashcam will be recording. I am certainly not going to start the engine when the traffic light turns green and then wait 20 seconds before moving!

With a 6R4, there is always a corner in the way, and you need image stabilisation on your dashcam:

I think most people would agree that instantaneous means that something happens immediately. 20 seconds is definitely not immediate.

But with that aside, that still feels a lot quicker than my current dashcam which can take over twice as long. I always feel I'm ready to start driving away before the dashcam is ready. I reckon 20 seconds is enough to not hold me up too much.
Yeah, I'm not terribly patient, but 20 seconds is nothing at all! If it were 2 or 3 minutes that would probably be a little different.

Good luck with your new Blackvue dashcam... a wise choice!

Yeah, I'm not terribly patient, but 20 seconds is nothing at all! If it were 2 or 3 minutes that would probably be a little different.

Good luck with your new Blackvue dashcam... a wise choice!
Here's a guy like one of the earlier posters... he can get his car going real fast in 20 seconds!!! But he totaled his car!... lol.

And btw his Blackvue dashcam would have captured his bonehead move as he was at the line for at least 15 seconds... : )

The comments to that video clip are hilarious! - - One guy asked, "Were they racing to the pole? - If not, I think the Viper lost!"

Last edited:
Back