Cold Weather - Not Recording

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 28550
  • Start date Start date
D

Deleted member 28550

Hi,

Don't know if anyone can help but I have the Mobius with the new C2 lense (latest firmware v2.41) as a car dash cam and over the past 2 days the weather has been dropping to around 0c and both mornings my camera refuses to power up and record.

I noticed this morning that the green LED flashes for a period of time then eventually goes out. After around 5-10 minutes of driving the car the mobius will suddenly power up and start recording.

Does anyone know if the camera stops working due to cold weather and if there is anything I can do to help other than removing it each night (which is a bit of pain to realign each morning)?

Records fine any other time just seems to be these cold mornings.

I have the super capacitor installed and it is hard wired to an ignition on power fuse.

Thank you.

It is a hardwire kit which is connected to the fuse box to a fuse that powers with ignition :
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B00MH4ZVHO
Been working flawlessly since I installed it back in March. Just the last 2 days it has been playing up in the mornings and only thing I can relate it to is the temperature.

try a different power supply and see if you have the same issue, power supply is just as likely a culprit as the camera is

It is a hardwire kit which is connected to the fuse box to a fuse that powers with ignition :
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B00MH4ZVHO
Cheap hardwiring kits are notoriously untrustworthy. Bypass it & connect Mobius to the accessory socket via USB charger. If the problem goes away, the hardwiring kit is the culprit.

Do you have yours hard wired?
I don't hard wire but, if I did, I'd skip these kits & instead wire-in an accessory socket & hide it behind the dash, into which I'd pop a decent USB charger from Anker, etc.

image.jpeg

Or splash out on a quality device with inbuilt BDP circuitry, e.g. MultiSafer, Vico Power Plus, etc.

We had several nights lately with temperatures around 0 deg C and even a night below that, both my mobius 1 and 2 handled that just fine, and the mobius 1 also handled last winter with no problems.

My mobius 2 is on a PSU that come with the joovuu X cam and the old mobius 1 i think is on the PSU that came with my SG9665GC.

It would seem to suggest that it is the power that is causing the issue.

I have a 12v adapter that came with a G1WH that I have and if I power the Mobius from cold with that it works fine, using the hardwire kit it either does nothing or just flashes a few times at me then powers down.

Going to try fitting this kit instead of my current one and hope this provides adequate power:http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/nextbase-dash-cam-hardwire-kit-a45tx

My Mobius functioned flawlessly through last winter which was mild but did see dozens of mornings solidly below freezing temps. I use an Anker PS and high-quality aftermarket USB cables- one should never build on a cheap or inadequate foundation ;)

Phil

Hi,

Don't know if anyone can help but I have the Mobius with the new C2 lense (latest firmware v2.41) as a car dash cam and over the past 2 days the weather has been dropping to around 0c and both mornings my camera refuses to power up and record.

I noticed this morning that the green LED flashes for a period of time then eventually goes out. After around 5-10 minutes of driving the car the mobius will suddenly power up and start recording.

Does anyone know if the camera stops working due to cold weather and if there is anything I can do to help other than removing it each night (which is a bit of pain to realign each morning)?

Records fine any other time just seems to be these cold mornings.

I have the super capacitor installed and it is hard wired to an ignition on power fuse.

Thank you.

This same problem has been driving me nuts for the last couple of weeks, same camera and SuperCap. Thought it was the SCap so put in the battery, no difference. Bought a new SCap in case first SCap had failed, no difference. As the camera is installed with the extension lead and lens mounted in a home made housing it is a pain to have to remove it every night just to keep it warm!

I am using this power supply:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B00OHHT7ZGWhich has two outputs as I intend to fit a rear camera at some point. I have used a USB adapter in the 12v fag lighter socket and that failed as well! Maybe try the fuse box as I bought a 12v socket as above just in case.....

Did the Maplin one sort the problem Lickeh?

Last edited:
Just to try it, I tested the Mobius on my Samsung Mobile USB charger on my desk where it was nice and warm, no problems at all. I then popped it in the freezer for an hour then plugged it into the same charger, nothing absolutely dead. That was on a genuine Kingston 32gb card. I took out the Kingston card and replaced it with a genuine Toshiba 16gb card, same result. Tried connecting to my PC but that to start with did not see it at all, I then found it in file manager as a drive in RED, however the file structure was normal and the videos it had taken were there to play.
I then formatted the 32gb card and installed the latest mSystem program, on connecting to the PC the red led at the rear flashed about 3 times and the yellow led on the face lit but did not flash. the power button turned it off but the mode and shutter did not seem to do anything so I reset the Mobius with a paper clip. It started recording straight away when connected to the power from the Samsung chargers USB socket. I am using the reset quite often in the car as this seems to help when all else fails. I would like to use the Mobius in winter as well as summer, no problems at all during the summer.
Don't know if its me or my system but the whole thing seems rather 'hit or miss'!!

I live in a region that experiences extremes of cold weather during the winter. On occasion, one of my Mobius cameras has trouble starting up when the temperature has been hovering around zero degrees Fahrenheit for many hours.

This problem has nothing to do with the memory card or charger. Basically, it has to do with the Novatek DSP (and possibly other components) going below its rated operating temperature specification for an extended period of time.

The solution is simple. If the camera powers up but fails to start recording just leave it plugged in for 30-60 seconds (sometimes less will work). This gives the components an opportunity to warm up internally. Then unplug the camera from the power supply until the rear red LED extinguishes and immediately plug it back in. This time it should boot up and begin recording.

I've noticed that the early V1 version of the PCB is more prone to cold temperature start-up problems than the later V2 or V3 versions. Not sure why that is.

Last edited:
This same problem has been driving me nuts for the last couple of weeks, same camera and SuperCap. Thought it was the SCap so put in the battery, no difference. Bought a new SCap in case first SCap had failed, no difference. As the camera is installed with the extension lead and lens mounted in a home made housing it is a pain to have to remove it every night just to keep it warm!

I am using this power supply:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B00OHHT7ZGWhich has two outputs as I intend to fit a rear camera at some point. I have used a USB adapter in the 12v fag lighter socket and that failed as well! Maybe try the fuse box as I bought a 12v socket as above just in case.....

Did the Maplin one sort the problem Lickeh?

The Nextbase power module solved the issue for me. It now starts up straight away on the super capacitor regardless of temperature (so far). It is better made and comes with two different fuse connectors to suit most cars and vans. It has a bullet connector for quick linking to the fuse so all you really need is a bit of electrical tape to hold it firmly in place should you desire.

It is £20, which is obviously more than the other power blocks but you can instantly see why there is a difference. They are so easy to fit, comes with a fuse already in too so you just need to decide which of yours you want to use and take it out, put it in the spare slot, then plug back in and you're away.

What you may find as well (as mine did this) but when the super capacitor completely discharges you may lose camera configuration. I initially thought my new power block wasn't working but it turned out the config had gone back to default and the memory card was full so it wouldn't write anymore as the default option is to not overwrite, as well as recording upside down and the wrong quality, etc.

There is also the issue to be aware of with multi stage ignitions. On my car when I turn the ignition part way the car electrics power up (dash, radio, etc) and the mobius powers on. If the super capacitor has no charge at all due to the cold then it takes a moment or two to hold a charge. What I found with mine was that when I then crank the engine and start the car it cuts the power out then back on again briefly. If the mobius has powered up fully the cut in power makes it think it is shutting down again and it turns off. Need to experiment with your car to see if that is happening and maybe adjust the time between stages.

The other option would be to connect it to a permanent live fuse. The mobius would then retain a charge and should just power straight away regardless of weather. It will obviously use a small amount of power but it really is a tiny amount.

As I said, mine is working now with the new power block and hopefully you can resolve the issue with yours too, I know how incredibly frustrating it is :)

Thanks for your comments guys, I didn't think the card would be the problem - although I am often wrong in my assumptions! - I have 3 cards that live in the car 24/7 two with audio and one with navigation and not one has been a problem even when temps are well below freezing and I have left the car for days. The power supply always gives instant power as far as I can tell, as soon as the ignition is turned on the charge led is lit, then goes out, indicating the SCap is charged (The rear red led also flashes 3 times).
When the system is running as it should, in summer, I did check the ignition stages, with ignition on and engine off the yellow 1 sec on/off is constant, when I turn the key to start the engine this on/off does not change, I cannot remember what fuse I piggy backed off from but it was a constant ignition on supply.

I have left it connected and driven off, and at various junctions when I felt it was safe to try it I unplugged and re-plugged it in again, I reckon it was at least 5 min before it would start up on a re-connect and that at temps around 3 deg C.
I chose the Mobius as I did not want to have to remove and replace a dash-cam every journey. I will have a go at inserting a photo of my 'installation' the camera is attached to the 'rain sensor' mesh part of the windscreen with 3M Command 'Velcro' and not visible from the outside, the large black housing contains sensors for lane assist and high beam assist, the Mobius lens is on an extension lead that runs inside my housing which is held by double sided tape and is now a bit neater though! If no photo appears you will know I failed!

20160527_161319.jpg
In any case thank you for your help and my best wishes for a Merry Christmas.

Last edited:
There is also the issue to be aware of with multi stage ignitions. On my car when I turn the ignition part way the car electrics power up (dash, radio, etc) and the mobius powers on. If the super capacitor has no charge at all due to the cold then it takes a moment or two to hold a charge. What I found with mine was that when I then crank the engine and start the car it cuts the power out then back on again briefly. If the mobius has powered up fully the cut in power makes it think it is shutting down again and it turns off. Need to experiment with your car to see if that is happening and maybe adjust the time between stages.

I have this exact same issue. Did you find a solution?

I live in a region that experiences extremes of cold weather during the winter. On occasion, one of my Mobius cameras has trouble starting up when the temperature has been hovering around zero degrees Fahrenheit for many hours.

This problem has nothing to do with the memory card or charger. Basically, it has to do with the Novatek DSP (and possibly other components) going below its rated operating temperature specification for an extended period of time.

The solution is simple. If the camera powers up but fails to start recording just leave it plugged in for 30-60 seconds (sometimes less will work). This gives the components an opportunity to warm up internally. Then unplug the camera from the power supply until the rear red LED extinguishes and immediately plug it back in. This time it should boot up and begin recording.

I've noticed that the early V1 version of the PCB is more prone to cold temperature start-up problems than the later V2 or V3 versions. Not sure why that is.

Still no further, I have kept the Micro SD card in the warm, plugged it in then connected the power, same start up failure. When plugged in to the power lead the green LED comes on for around 30 seconds then goes out, during the time from plugging in the power to the green LED going out, the rear red LED does not light or flash at all. When the camera is warm enough to function as intended the rear red LED flashes 3 times.
Not exactly sure what that indicates, the battery or S/C is dead after only one nights lack of use? I have no idea what a Novatek DSP is so don't know what to look for.

Is there a contact for the manufacturer? somebody makes these so they would be the best people to answer the question. Any suggestions?
I like the camera as it is small enough not to be too obvious when left in the car with only the lens showing, if I cannot leave it in the car and have to use a suction mount so I can remove it when its cold I might as well buy a pukka dashcam.

Still no further, I have kept the Micro SD card in the warm, plugged it in then connected the power, same start up failure. When plugged in to the power lead the green LED comes on for around 30 seconds then goes out, during the time from plugging in the power to the green LED going out, the rear red LED does not light or flash at all. When the camera is warm enough to function as intended the rear red LED flashes 3 times.
Not exactly sure what that indicates, the battery or S/C is dead after only one nights lack of use? I have no idea what a Novatek DSP is so don't know what to look for.

Is there a contact for the manufacturer? somebody makes these so they would be the best people to answer the question. Any suggestions?
I like the camera as it is small enough not to be too obvious when left in the car with only the lens showing, if I cannot leave it in the car and have to use a suction mount so I can remove it when its cold I might as well buy a pukka dashcam.

So far the winter has been pretty harsh here in northern New England and I have yet to experience any boot-up issues with any of the three Mobi in my vehicle. Come to think of it the only times I have ever had this problem was after a few consecutive days of severe sub zero (Fahrenheit) temperatures.

Off hand, it sounds like you may have an issue with a bad super-capacitor module rather than a bad camera but that is just a guess. You might consider investing in a replacement supercap and see what happens. As a trouble shooting measure you could also try putting the original battery back in and seeing what happens but DO NOT CHARGE a frozen lithium polymer battery regardless of what the frozen camera does during such a test. (Nothing terrible will happen but lithium batteries should not be charged when frozen.)

FYI, the Novatek DSP (Digital Signal Processor) is a brand of a dedicated integrated circuit that is the "brains" of the camera. In simple terms it is the equivalent of the CPU (Central Processing Unit) that runs your PC except that in a DSP the operating system is embedded in the chip and is dedicated to a single set of tasks; in this case, a video camera. DSPs are referred to as SoCs (System on a Chip).

On your Mobius it is the large square black component on the circuit board. (button side)
Novatek.jpg

If the camera can be proven to have a defect and even if it doesn't you might try contacting the vendor you bought the camera (and super-cap) from.

Last edited:
Back