Concerns of not recording(skipping) upon impact

daveslegend

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,

I've had dashcams since 2017 because or your wonderful website!

We had a problem though. My daughter hit a curb and when I went back to see the footage it appeared that the shock of the camera (from impact) caused it to 'skip' and not record the event of the crash. All I could see was the footage leading up to the crash, but then the next footage was 'after' the event. I saw the file numbers and realized that the recording skipped the number (so for instance, the file number went like 3, 4, then 6) and the event I wanted recorded was '5'. I double checked it and also confirmed that my daughter didnt intentionally erase it.

I guess my concern is the 'impact' or g-shock on the camera. Could placing the camera somewhere where it doesnt absorb the shock make a difference? I am concerned that the typical mounting place (windshield) transmit too much shock that it triggers the camera to skip or shut off recording. Perhaps mounting the camera to the roof (with less of a hard connection) might be better?

It is frustrating because the whole purpose of having the camera is to capture the event and instead it skipped it.

The camera that had the problem is an older dashcam A-118-C 1080p. The interesting thing is I had two cameras (both of them were A-118-C) mounted - one in front and one in the back and the one in the back was fine - it recorded everything. The only problem was I was seeing the event from behind so I could not determine what caused the spinout in front.

Thanks all in advance,

Have you checked to see if the file was locked and moved to the RO folder, if that is how locked files are stored on the A118?

Back