connecting a dash cam

mrmetallica

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
is it better to hard wire a dash cam or use the lighter socket ?
ive hard wired mine to on when the ignition is on but the date and time is never right as the camera battery is never good enough. im considering putting a beter battery in the dash cam so it last longer
whats your thought on this
its this one ive got

Attachments

• dashcam.jpg
    dashcam.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 13
It's a wasting of time to change a battery. I think you may live with it or buy a new dashcam.
A cheap dashcam like yours may die anytime if you hardwire it. All cheap dashcams doesn't design to install hardwire and run 24/7.

ive hard wired mine to on when the ignition is on but the date and time is never right as the camera battery is never good enough. im considering putting a beter battery in the dash cam so it last longer
its this one ive got

Replacing battery is doable, but you have to think if it worth to do on this cheap dascham.
1. Battery cost around 6-10usd ( incl. shipping )
2. delivery may take 1-2 month
3. replacing job may take around 1/2 hour

Yeah, after all this it may last few more month ( maybe 1/2y-1y ? ) but lifespan of cheap dascham is limited and you never know when something happens to it when you need your dashcam at very important moment.
Putting together all pros and cons I would recommend to go with brand new dascham bought from local supplier. At least you will get quick delivery, local support and local warranty.

its this one ive got

ive already hard wired it ,its just the date and time is never right i know it doesn't really matter .
would a 3 cable hard wire kit keep the power in it better ?

There's not much point in trying to get sub-standard equipment to work like it should. By the time you succeed you will have spent as much time and money as it would cost to get better equipment to start with. Right now there are cams available which are much better than this one that will do what you seek for under $50 including shipping. You always need a decent SD card, those supplied with cheap cams fail quickly. But still you're under $65 and you'll have a cam that's doing what you want with little time spent to achieve that.

a 3-wire kit may help but it's only going to do as good as the whole system allows. If that cam doesn't have a safe and efficient charger along with a good battery (which it likely doesn't) it's going to fail soon or leave you with a dead car battery. Or possibly worse. If you insist on trying that my guess is that you'll be replacing the cam PDQ leaving you worse off than you started but that's your choice. Have a look at this: which I own, use, and recommend as about the cheapest decent cam I can find at this point.

Phil

There's not much point in trying to get sub-standard equipment to work like it should. By the time you succeed you will have spent as much time and money as it would cost to get better equipment to start with. Right now there are cams available which are much better than this one that will do what you seek for under $50 including shipping. You always need a decent SD card, those supplied with cheap cams fail quickly. But still you're under $65 and you'll have a cam that's doing what you want with little time spent to achieve that.

a 3-wire kit may help but it's only going to do as good as the whole system allows. If that cam doesn't have a safe and efficient charger along with a good battery (which it likely doesn't) it's going to fail soon or leave you with a dead car battery. Or possibly worse. If you insist on trying that my guess is that you'll be replacing the cam PDQ leaving you worse off than you started but that's your choice. Have a look at this: which I own, use, and recommend as about the cheapest decent cam I can find at this point.

Phil

im not using a cheap sd card ,the camera wont tolerate them ive bought a decent one .
that camera looks a bit like the one ive got just different style.ive not really had any trouble with my one i just read about the parking mode and found out id need the proper cable to get it to work .ill try that see how i get on .cheers

Last edited:
Back