Connecting a SSD to a Dashcam

JB-007

Reaction score
Country
United States
Has anyone ever tried to connect a SSD to a dash cam bypassing the SD card?

That cant be done i am sure, but i am hoping it will be possible really soon.
To me there are no doubt you will need that at least with quad systems, but even dual systems with high resolution and higher bitrates a SSD of some sort will be nice to house the larger and more files depending on system type.
E-sata would be nice though you can always trace the wire to the storage, but still thats 2 things that can be secured well and 2 things a possible thief have to unscrew.

My prayers are strong regarding SSD to dashcam, but i fear i am praying to the wrong deity.

There are some truly tiny SSDs available these days like this PNY 480GB USB 3.0 Portable Solid State Drive which costs about $130 USD. It would be really cool if a dash cam manufacturer could build a camera that could attach to one of these via USB or even build it into the device in such a way that it could be removable. I suppose for a DIY project it "may" be possible to build an Arduino or Raspberry pi device that would allow a dash cam to transfer files to one of these SSDs via USB in the same way you would transfer files to any computer HD . Of course, this would not "bypass" the camera's SD card, it would merely be convenient, portable, high capacity archiving.

pny.png

Last edited:
Indeed.
And both Samsung ( 5 gen V nand ) and Fujitsu ( NRAM ) are about to kick off new production lines of memory modules.

There are some truly tiny SSDs available these days like this PNY 480GB USB 3.0 Portable Solid State Drive which costs about $130 USD. It would be really cool if a dash cam manufacturer could build a camera that could attach to one of these via USB or even build it into the device in such a way that it could be removable. I suppose for a DIY project it "may" be possible to build an Arduino or Raspberry pi device that would allow a dash cam to transfer files to one of these SSDs via USB in the same way you would transfer files to any computer HD . Of course, this would not "bypass" the camera's SD card, it would merely be convenient, portable, high capacity archiving.

View attachment 39961
that's small alright, I'd probably want to use something like the 500GB M.2 drives I use as the C drive in my PC's, those things are tiny

Yeah the M2 form factor also look interesting, but its a interface i cant see gaining support in the SOCs from the current makers.

Id like a M2 HDD in my next PC build too, but as things are i think it will be smarter of me to focus on a large spinning disk as i have a SSD for my OS already.
And while i have gained a little additional space by dumping a lot and put 2 old drives in a external HDD reader, then a 2 - 4 TB hard drive would be nice i think.

Just waiting for the GFX price drops they said will come soon, though on what i would like that will have to be a 50 % price drop, and that are not going to happen.
And wispers of relase of the 32 core threadripper in mid August, that just frustrate the hell out of me though i would never be able to afford a 12 - 16 - 32 core CPU, so will just have to settle with 8 and a smaller socket and chipset supporting less ram.

that's small alright, I'd probably want to use something like the 500GB M.2 drives I use as the C drive in my PC's, those things are tiny

Actually, the M.2 is old hat obsolete at this point. ;) I was going to mention Samsung's PM971-NVMe SSD whiich is MUCH smaller and faster. It can transfer a 5GB-equivalent HD movie in about 3 seconds. At some point I think we'll get to see dash cams with affordable massive onboard data storage and it will certainly be something like along these lines.

https://www.computerworld.com/artic...-512gb-ssd-its-half-the-weight-of-a-dime.html

"Half the weight of a dime"

samsung.jpg

samsung2.jpg

Last edited:
the M.2 drives go down to about half the size of the one shown there, mine is on a 32GB/sec interface, very quick, far beyond what we would need for our purposes at least

the challenge with that new NVMe SSD is that it's BGA which is only half the solution we would need and would mean it was permanent onboard storage, I think I'd still lean toward something like the M.2 interface as it would mean interchangeable memory on a readily available interface, interesting development anyway and a sign of where things are going, I'm sure there will be lots of possibilities in the not too distant future

Back