Connecting camera to laptop

dun

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I just bought a WM1 and waiting for the car to arrive before installing it.
I have been trying to connect it to the laptop using the provided, and what I get is just a continuous beeping regardless of the SD card I use.

Is that expected?

Are you using the provided USB data cable ?

Hi,

I have been trying to connect it to the laptop using the provided, and what I get is just a continuous beeping regardless of the SD card I use.

Is that expected?
Welcome to the forum.
What are you trying to connect WM1 to laptop for?
If you are using the supplied USB data cable, then WM1 should be recognized as removable media.
If you want to play around with the WM1 settings, then it is advisable to connect it to a phone charger with at least 1A,
you can even use the same cable.

Correct, I am using the provided cable.
Tried several USB ports, even those dedicated to charging devices.
Same result.

I am returning and getting replacement.

I don’t think a replacement is going to help. It’s probably unrelated to the camera itself.

Have these memory cards been formatted to fat32? Have you connected the camera to the VIOFO app? Is yes, be sure to format the card via the app, then try to connect to your pc using the data cable.

Tried Sandisk Max Endurance (as shown on the website). Formatted via the GUI and/or SD formatter. Same result.
I haven't connected the camera to the VIOFO app because I can't enable the wireless on the camera (it just beeps).

It beeps when it's no recording. That's normal.

Press and hold the ! button to format the card in the camera.

Press and hold the WiFi button to enable/disable WiFi.

But it's not appearing as removable device as needed.

Tried to hold the ! button for 30+ seconds, with no change.
Pressing the WIFI button as no effect.

Do you have access to another PC ?

Just to double check, although if it's not recording then that's another matter maybe unrelated to PC connectivity.

Maybe try defaulting the cameras settings. Press and hold the MIC and ! buttons together.

When you turn on WiFi, does the WiFi light come on? If not, try with the memory card removed. You should do this when powering the camera via a USB wall charger, not your PC.

The WM1 was shipped with firmware that did not place it into cardreader mode when connected to a PC/Mac using the short USB data cable. In the WM1 firmware thread on this site, I posted info about firmware v1.1_0602 that added that feature. If the WM1 firmware version in the unit you're trying to get cardreader mode to work is not v1.1_0602, I would suggest upgrading the firmware to get this feature to work.

WM1 firmware v1.1_0602.

Download Link: https://viofo.com/download/firmware/WM1/FWA_WM1.bin

Change Log:

1. Added: Enter Cardreader Mode by short data cable
2. Added: LED Control During Driving and Parking
3. Added: Short Press the WIFI button to take a photo
4. Optimized: Video GPS Stamp
5. Other Bug Fixes

Hi,

Is that expected?
Use the USB cable with a battery pack to supply power to your camera to confirm if it can work normally. If yes, connect to the camera wifi and enter the VIOFO app to check the firmware version. If it is not V1.1_0602, please update the version to have a try. Because the firmware version before cannot support entering card reader mode when using the short USB cable to connect the camera to your PC. Here is the link where you can download the file: https://viofo.com/content/88-wm1-support/
Since the camera cannot enter card reader mode when connected to your PC, you can use a card reader to connect the card to your PC. Format the card using this tool first (do not tick quick format)
Then copy the file to your card, and supply power to the camera after inserting the card back. Wait for a while and the camera will turn on automatically after updating. Wait for your results.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S WM1 5
Back