Connection Drops - iPhone

R34L15T

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

First post here so here I go! I have the Blackvue 900x Plus (hardwired) recently installed in my car. It's a G05 X5 with Wireless Apple Carplay.

I've been having nothing but issues with the connection to the dashcam. I initially had issues with it constantly battling out to drop the connection, to connect to wireless Apple Car Play - which i figured if i set it 'Auto Join' off on the connections list it wouldn't connect - that was solved. But every single time i try connecting to the camera, watching content it would drop the connection. Downloading content, it would also drop the connection.

About 10 minutes ago, I tried to install the latest firmware 1.007 I believe. I did this about 7 times till I gave up. It would try to upload the firmware to the camera, and the max it reached was 90% and drop the connection. Other times were random, 17%, 36% etc..

I did try to have a look at solutions and I found that 2.4ghz works better - which is already set to and have also given the 5ghz a go but to no avail. I gave up installing the latest firmware!

Any help is welcome!

Thank you.

A couple of suggestions that might not help, but worth mentioning.

Not likely, but if your iPhone has any sort of VPN software product installed, you may need to disable it temporarily to allow the Wi-Fi connection to the BlackVue dash cam work correctly.

If the firmware in the DR900X Plus dash cam supports "Seamless Pairing" and you've left the "Seamless Pairing" feature enabled in the firmware settings, then the BlackVue app on your phone controls the Wi-Fi connection to the dash cam dynamically. In the Wi-Fi settings on your iPhone, if you have a saved Wi-Fi network entry for the BlackVue DR900X Plus dash cam, you use the "Forget This Network" option in the info page [click on the blue (i) on the right side] for the DR900X Plus dash cam's Wi-Fi network. On Android devices, I've noticed having a saved Wi-Fi network entry for the dash cam can really mess up the BlackVue app's dynamic management of the Wi-Fi connection to the dash cam.

This appears to be a known problem. A response from Blackvue: " Apple car play will somehow cause signal interference to the WiFi signal of the camera, it is best to turn off car play when using direct Wifi connect."
It seems (and this is inconsistent and likely varies with vehicle brands) if I go to my settings (Hyundai Palisade) to access the car play I then can connect using the Blackvue app on my iPhone. My theory.. is that while in the carplay settings mode.. it is disconnected and thus allowing the Blackvue access. But I could be wrong. I use my iPad to view the video most times and that seems to work fairly well.

A couple of suggestions that might not help, but worth mentioning.

Not likely, but if your iPhone has any sort of VPN software product installed, you may need to disable it temporarily to allow the Wi-Fi connection to the BlackVue dash cam work correctly.

If the firmware in the DR900X Plus dash cam supports "Seamless Pairing" and you've left the "Seamless Pairing" feature enabled in the firmware settings, then the BlackVue app on your phone controls the Wi-Fi connection to the dash cam dynamically. In the Wi-Fi settings on your iPhone, if you have a saved Wi-Fi network entry for the BlackVue DR900X Plus dash cam, you use the "Forget This Network" option in the info page [click on the blue (i) on the right side] for the DR900X Plus dash cam's Wi-Fi network. On Android devices, I've noticed having a saved Wi-Fi network entry for the dash cam can really mess up the BlackVue app's dynamic management of the Wi-Fi connection to the dash cam.

Tried these this afternoon, but to no avail.
This appears to be a known problem. A response from Blackvue: " Apple car play will somehow cause signal interference to the WiFi signal of the camera, it is best to turn off car play when using direct Wifi connect."
It seems (and this is inconsistent and likely varies with vehicle brands) if I go to my settings (Hyundai Palisade) to access the car play I then can connect using the Blackvue app on my iPhone. My theory.. is that while in the carplay settings mode.. it is disconnected and thus allowing the Blackvue access. But I could be wrong. I use my iPad to view the video most times and that seems to work fairly well.

I will give this a go and see if i can 'forget' Car Play from the cars settings - but i specifically disconnect car play (wifi), as i cannot connect to car play & also blackvue together..

So today i managed to connect without a connection drop at all!

I turned off Car Play from the iDrive settings and just made sure my phone connected to iDrive and shabang! looked like it worked.

I will give it a go the next few weeks to see how it goes..

Thanks for the tip @Ralph2

Seems like a work-around that Blackvue should be fixing.. and, as they recognize it as a problem, maybe they will. Kind of a nuisance to switch off carplay each time you want to view your video.

Seems like a work-around that Blackvue should be fixing.. and, as they recognize it as a problem, maybe they will. Kind of a nuisance to switch off carplay each time you want to view your video.
Exactly my thoughts. I was at a point where i actually wanted to get rid of the camera due to its connection issues.

Seems ok at the moment - with the method of connecting the bluetooth phone to iDrive and not to Apple Car Play in the settings it does not drop the connection so far!

Thank you for your help.

Back