Correct dash cam settings

Salem

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Hello,

I have installed my Power Magic Pro today and have a question about the dashcam (DR750S-2CH) itself.

I don't quite understand how PMS "tells" the camera that the ignition voltage supply has just dropped.

What should I set in the dashcam settings under Recording settings/Automatic parking mode?
Must this be switched off with PMS, since pms reports the status?

Thanks!

Set it at 12v 6 hours and see what happens All the PM does is monitor the battery voltage and shuts off if it gets too low or the time expires All the camera knows is that it either has power or it doesnt The camera senses lack of movement and after say 10 mins reverts to parking mode. If you have it enabled in settings

The only thing the PMP does, is switch from ACC to B+ when you switch the power off the car. By that it keeps delivering power to the camera connected to it, when the car is turned off.

The only thing the PMP does, is switch from ACC to B+ when you switch the power off the car. By that it keeps delivering power to the camera connected to it, when the car is turned off.

Not quite correct Read my post. If it only did what you say what turns it off when battery drops and time runs out

Also it doesnt switch either It has power on both inputs and when you turn the ign off the ACC feed drops out and the permanent keeps going until the timer shuts it down or the voltage drops and that shuts it down. You can actually wind both wires together and feed off the ACC and it will power the camera fine just not enable parking mode. Is a futile way of using it but can be done.

Well.. that is not quite correct either. It depends on whether the PMP is switched on or off. When the PMP is switched to on, the camera is powered from the always on circuit and will drop (shut off) based on the voltage or timer. If.. (and this is where it gets tricky) the PMP shuts off internally due to voltage or time it takes a voltage signal from the ACC circuit to reset the PMP and turn it back on. If.. the PMP is switched off.. the PMP essentially by-passes itself (green light is still on though) and feeds the camera.
The camera knows nothing of where the power is coming from and turns itself on when there is power no matter what the source.

Well I have just hooked up a brand new PMP and it must be crook becuase I cant get the light to come on no matter what I do I hooked a couple of ordinary PM's that I have lying around and both of them work I had one wired up with a switch in the Always on feed and it worked different to what you say If it was on camera worked normally including parking. If it was off camera was off except when ign was on which is what i imagined the switch in the PMP is for However I will take this one back and try another one in a day or so

Well.. that is not quite correct either. It depends on whether the PMP is switched on or off. When the PMP is switched to on, the camera is powered from the always on circuit and will drop (shut off) based on the voltage or timer. If.. (and this is where it gets tricky) the PMP shuts off internally due to voltage or time it takes a voltage signal from the ACC circuit to reset the PMP and turn it back on. If.. the PMP is switched off.. the PMP essentially by-passes itself (green light is still on though) and feeds the camera.
The camera knows nothing of where the power is coming from and turns itself on when there is power no matter what the source.

Parking Mode Switch ON: Power Magic Pro supplies your BlackVue with power even if the ignition of the vehicle is turned off, until it reaches voltage cut-off or timeout value.

Parking Mode Switch OFF: Power Magic Pro supplies power to your dashcam only when vehicle ignition is on.

Seems to contradict what you are saying doesnt it So switch on, all facilities work Switch off, only ACC feed works when car is running

So if switch is set to off and car isnt running the green light will be out and unit will be dead????????????

Thats what the one I have with the switch in the line does

Parking Mode Switch ON: Power Magic Pro supplies your BlackVue with power even if the ignition of the vehicle is turned off, until it reaches voltage cut-off or timeout value.

Parking Mode Switch OFF: Power Magic Pro supplies power to your dashcam only when vehicle ignition is on.

Seems to contradict what you are saying doesnt it So switch on, all facilities work Switch off, only ACC feed works when car is running

So if switch is set to off and car isnt running the green light will be out and unit will be dead????????????

Thats what the one I have with the switch in the line does
Sorry.. I do not see where I am contradicting... confusing perhaps..

PMP Switch off.. no green light (no camera) until the car is running or ACC turned on. the camera is fed from the ACC supply. In effect the PMP is being by-passed except for the fact the green light comes on. PMP switch on.. the camera is supplied from the always on supply and the green light is on. BUT.. this supply is being monitored for time and / or voltage. If either conditions shuts off the PMP (and your camera).. it is reset when it senses an ACC supply.. and your camera is again fed from the always on supply.

I found the PMP PRO a pain in the a**** The old PM has far better settings EG 11.6 v and 2 hour minimum .

I wired a PMP up a couple of days ago and it wouldnt fire up with the car in the garage with the Accessories on. So I tried 2 old PM's and they both fired up.

Hmmm took it back to the shop and they tried different batteries and it wouldnt work and neither would the other 4 they had in stock. They even rang the distributor who said we had wired it wrong Scuse me have installed 7 cameras and PM's I took it home and thought about it and heres what was wrong.

With the car not having been used for a couple of weeks the battery had dropped to about 11.9 volts. Hence it was below the 12v cutoff of the PMP. The PM's worked because they were set on 11.6v. Solution light bulb moment here TURN THE CAR ON. Almost instantly the PMP fired up.

Lesson learned

One of the PM's I decide to cheapskate cos I didnt want to spend any money on a new PMP I simply wired a little switch in the yellow battery feed so when I came home I switched it off so parking didnt work in the garage. Saved a few $ like that as that is the only difference mechanically in the two units apart from them ruining the good settings that were in the old one.

Another way to hardwire the PM or the camera is look in the fuse box for spare unused fuse slots My VW have quite a few they have little fuse clips on one side and nothing on the other So I just turn find one that is live with the car turned off and leave the meter attached shut it up lock it and wait 45mins If its still live use it for your yellow feed Then find one thats not live and turn the ign to ACC and see if it livens up Repeat till you find one Use for red wire. But a couple of addafuses and put 5 or 10 amp fuse in the top slot and plug them in Away you go.

NEVER JAM WIRES DOWN THE SIDE OF FUSES LIKE IN THE PMP INSTRUCTIONS. Is a disaster waiting to happen Spreads the clips and creates heat which leads to fire which leads to big hole in wallet. Had an idiot do that in my caravan Stuck the fridge fuse in crooked and was just rubbing against the side of the clip. Melted the fuse the holder and started on the wood behind it when I found what the smell was.

A certain Canadian installer has a similar promoting video on Youtube showing them doing that. Cant believe a so called professional outfit would even think about doing that

Back