Corrupt Display on startup; a possible cause

peterjt

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Today I took a few hours drive with my wife, which of course included a stop at a craft store.

I waited in the car with radio on; ignition in accessory mode. Camera was on.

When my wife came out I turned the key to start the engine, which results in power being cut to the camera, engine starting, and then the camera being powered again.

At this point the camera was frozen with the infamous half screen and the X boxes.

Thinking back I know I have had this exact same sequence of events before.

Peter

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Are you using the latest firmware version or an older one?

Have you tried to recreate it? I know I have done what you described many times and haven't had any issues. What options have you changed from the default settings?

Usual fix is to re-load the firmware. Be sure to manually default your settings using the "Default Settings" menu settings. Then set your menu preferences. To test if settings hold, just change Time zone, power down, then back up and recheck Time Zone to see if the setting held. If so reset settings to your preference.

I had this problem and posted here: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/viofo-a119s-stopped-working.28058/page-4#post-367258.

Of course I know what has been suggested in the past.

I'm trying to share WHAT I have observed

I'm trying to share WHAT I have observed
Me also, although haven't made final post. If you want to explore while having the problem, try operating without the microSD card installed. Random button pushes sometimes allowed me to get into the menu and gain control of the menu. From there you can explore. My camera recovered full function without reloading firmware. Defaulting the settings seemed to help fix the problem along the way. Problem seemed to become evident at power up, with extra long VIOFO logo display. Cause unknown, but since determined possible intermittent problem in home USB cable, wall plug, and GPS mount configuration being used when problem occurred.

Today I took a few hours drive with my wife, which of course included a stop at a craft store.

When my wife came out I turned the key to start the engine, which results in power being cut to the camera, engine starting, and then the camera being powered again.

At this point the camera was frozen with the infamous half screen and the X boxes.

Peter

I'm guessing you own A119, if so Downgrade Firmware and perform the BootLoader update first. When BootLoader becomes corrupted symptoms appear with failed LCD display & memory card recording.
When the LCD image freezes is the Dashcam very hot on one side?
Troubleshoot by removing memory card while Dashcam is off, then power up in your hand with power cable connected from original car adapter or tablet adapter or 5volt power bank but connect to Dashcam side mini-USB port.

Never update Firmware using power bank, it will not complete.

Peter

I'm amused to see that the firmware now includes a boot delay option that should solve this issue

I'm amused to see that the firmware now includes a boot delay option that should solve this issue

Cutting power then reconnecting quickly on any device will cause issues, especially video recording devices, can cause surges as you discovered the common corrupted screen of "X". Great to have a delay option, its original purpose was during Engine Starts for vehicles that temporarily send power to ACC then cut power to use during engine starts, then finally apply ACC power normally once engine is running. The capacitor charge/discharge circuit can't handle intermittent power spikes.
At least we now have a viable workaround.

The capacitor charge/discharge circuit can't handle intermittent power spikes.
and this is what I found out. if you remember I use On-Off-On switches to switch the power sources for my 2 cameras from car's electricity to two power banks power (both power sources have the same voltage), and if I switch the sources very fast even my new
wink.gif
A119 Pro keeps recording the same file, but if I do the switch just a little bit slower the Pro starts a new file while A119 still keeps recording the same file, and if I switch the sources even slower the A119 Pro may restart while A119 may just start a new video file. :)

and this is what I found out. if you remember I use On-Off-On switches to switch the power sources for my 2 cameras from car's electricity to two power banks power (both power sources have the same voltage), and if I switch the sources very fast even my new
wink.gif
A119 Pro keeps recording the same file, but if I do the switch just a little bit slower the Pro starts a new file while A119 still keeps recording the same file, and if I switch the sources even slower the A119 Pro may restart while A119 may just start a new video file. :)

that is to do with the startup sequence programmed in the firmware, not due to the charge state of the capacitors

that is to do with the startup sequence programmed in the firmware, not due to the charge state of the capacitors
so, if I replace the capacitors on my A119 to the identical ones that A119 Pro has, my A119 still will power off in about 5 seconds like it does today and not right away like A119 Pro camera?

so, if I replace the capacitors on my A119 to the identical ones that A119 Pro has, my A119 still will power off in about 5 seconds like it does today and not right away like A119 Pro camera?

firmware settings determine the power up, power down sequence, changing capacitors won't alter that

firmware settings determine the power up, power down sequence, changing capacitors won't alter that
thanks! good to know.

Back