Could use some help with 0803 cut-off issues

Sportcat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Good morning. My 0803 worked great for about two weeks and then on a road trip it made a random noise (like when you scroll through the menus), made it again two minutes later, and then turned off. The camera was not hot.

A couple of days later it made the same sound, but did not turn off.

I did some research on here and did the "shim method" to improve contact with the GPS mount. Worked fine and then the issue happened again.

I also moved the power cord from the mount and charged directly to the camera. Same issue after a couple of days.

Yesterday I decided to replace the OEM car charger with a micro-USB lead plugged into a USB car charger. Unfortunately I heard the sounds again this morning and the camera turned off. I was able to immediately turn it back on and it started recording.

I'm using a Class 10 32gb card that I've used with other dash cams. I contacted FoxOffer about this and they said they'd send me an updated firmware, but I've not heard back from them in a week.

Any ideas what is going on?

You can see where it cut off and where I was able to turn it back on.

cam.PNG

I have this exact same issue and the unreliability is worrying me...

The warning sound/whistle coincides with a warning messges on screen for 1-2 seconds (Low Card Speed related).
Also the recorded video also had corruption/gaps at the same place(s)

I use a Sandisk class 10 32GB card, but I think this card (brand/class) is not recommended by many in the forums.
(Also I do not see the same issue when recording to internal memory, I have a differerent "shutdown/heat" issue...)

So I am waiting for a class 6 Samsung 32GB, which seems to be the popular/reliable one...

Interesting. I never see a warning on the screen because the camera is mounted behind my rearview mirror. I can only see the light if I move my head enough.

I've also noticed that sometimes the video is recorded, but there is no GPS data.

I’m using SanDisk Ultra 32GB MicroSDHC Class 10 UHS Memory Card.

Yes, thats my card too. But its not liked by these dashcams. Some corrupt files, missing segments in 1 in 10 files.
I happened to read the warning message a few times, just cos my screen is visible generally & I had just started the car.

Class 6, Samsung, here I come...
Maybe I will use the crap sandisk class 10 on my new B40 rear cam...Maybe its not so sensitive...

Interesting. I never see a warning on the screen because the camera is mounted behind my rearview mirror. I can only see the light if I move my head enough.
I've also noticed that sometimes the video is recorded, but there is no GPS data.
I’m using SanDisk Ultra 32GB MicroSDHC Class 10 UHS Memory Card.

I've used the SanDisk on my other two cams with no issues. Looks like I'm hitting Amazon or some big box stores this weekend for the Samsung.

Class 6 the way to go? Any issues between 16gb and 32gb?

I've used the SanDisk on my other two cams with no issues. Looks like I'm hitting Amazon or some big box stores this weekend for the Samsung.

Class 6 the way to go? Any issues between 16gb and 32gb?
I have been using Class 6 32 Gb Samsung without any issues, recently changed to 64Gb Class 10 Samsung still without problems although it hasn't done a vast mileage yet.

Running with LDWS off and WDR off at full resolution and best quality mine runs fairly cool with the 64Gb card and fairly warm but never hot with the 32Gb. It has a sunshade on the glass above it so is never in direct overhead sun.

I have been using Class 6 32 Gb Samsung without any issues, recently changed to 64Gb Class 10 Samsung still without problems although it hasn't done a vast mileage yet.

Running with LDWS off and WDR off at full resolution and best quality mine runs fairly cool with the 64Gb card and fairly warm but never hot with the 32Gb. It has a sunshade on the glass above it so is never in direct overhead sun.
Hi all, I use 64 gigabytes Class 10 Samsung already four months every day and everything works no problem .......

Used the SDFormatter on the Class 10 SanDisk 32gb on Friday. The "beeps" came back this morning (Monday).

Move to a Class 6 Samsung?

I use: SmartDisk_FAT32_tool.exe and I have no problem,
You must not use the format in 803

You must not use the format in 803
Could you please clarify? I see intermittent missing files too on my 0803, using Kingston Class4 SDHC 32GB. Always formatted memorycard in-cam!

Last edited:
Could you please clarify? I see intermittent missing files too on my 0803, using Samsung Class10 SDHC 32GB. Always formatted memorycard in-cam!
There seems to be some debate on this, some people claim to format 32Gb cards OK in the camera, personally I don't think the 0803 fully succeeds in formatting 32Gb cards or bigger in the camera, the job gets left half complete. For 32Gb cards, you can format them in Windows as long as you select FAT32 format, or use a tool as suggested above.

If you are getting missing files then an external format would be sensible, possibly use the windows disk check tool first to see if the file system is corrupt, if it is you could see if an in camera format actually fixes it or if it really does need an external format...

1) format SD only do in a PC software: SmartDisk_FAT32_tool.exe .......
2) not to use the internal format in 803
3) if you change the time you have to format the SD loop again

1) format SD only do in a PC software: SmartDisk_FAT32_tool.exe .......
Why this tool? And why ONLY on pc? Please clarify/document your claims further.
2) not to use the internal format in 803
Again - why should i NOT use the internal Format-feature? Please specify the possible consequences by using this feature.
3) if you change the time you have to format the SD loop again
Say what? If i manually set the time and date, you say i should format in windows, using your specified tool, again!? Please clarify why this should be necessary.

I am all about using tips & tricks specified by people inhere - but it needs to make sense too, and not just sound like some hasty recommendations, without an explanation as to why ;)

I am no noob around computers, software, firmware and so on - so feel free to get into nerdy details :D

I am no noob around computers, software, firmware and so on - so feel free to get into nerdy details :D
I think the camera formats the 32Gb card in FAT16 format that can't cope with the size, it needs FAT32. I've not done enough testing to be sure though...

I'm sorry, you're very comfortable, read this forum and you will find the answers to your questions
I gave advice that I read on this forum and I have tried in practice ......
Read it and you'll know the answer to your question !!

I think the camera formats the 32Gb card in FAT16 format that can't cope with the size, it needs FAT32. I've not done enough testing to be sure though...
Just checked, after formatting the 32GB SDHC card in the 0803, and it's done correctly = Fat32 (and Windows reporting a size of just over 29GB)
So - all is well in that department.
I'm sorry, you're very comfortable, read this forum and you will find the answers to your questions
I gave advice that I read on this forum and I have tried in practice ......
Read it and you'll know the answer to your question !!
I hear you, jardaj - i do :)
Just, it sounded a bit like half-hearted ramblings with no weight to it, since you didnt clarify further - or provided references (or links) to your statements.
I will see what i can dig up inhere, searching around for your recommendations.

ChiefWiggum - any updates on your situation? My Class 6 Samsung card arrived yesterday, but I haven't had a chance to try it out.

I had the issue again today. You can see that something happened and the camera only recorded a 0:12 clip and a 0:56 clip. I was in the car and did not turn off the power.

Any ideas?

0838.PNG

Back