Couple of questions about the 590W

Antsinmypants

Reaction score
Country
United States
hey all

just put this cam in, couple of questions:

1. i purchased a 64gb Samsung endurance card, however the camera keeps saying check sd card, and rebooting. this doesn't give me a chance to format the card by holding down the WiFi button for 10 seconds... i've read the card is supported, any advice here?

2. if a critical event is captured, how does that clip get "locked" so it doesn't get overwritten? i know some cams have a button that locks the current recording, but i dont see this on the blackvue

thanks!

Format the card on your PC via the Viewer app.

I'm not sure if the 590W supports the "lock" function you mention.

locking files are often done in 2 ways while driving.
1: Manual by pressing a event button on or off the camera ( some have a remote BT button )
2: By G sensor trigger, this is tricky as if it is not adjusted properly then potholes and what not will create false event recordings.
And it seem that often you cant tune the G sensor just right, and even if you can you will get some false event created unless something miraculous have happened overnight to the state of the American roads.

Personally i rely on manual event button, and plenty of memory card space in case i get knocked out and it take a while for rescuers to turn off my car and so stop the camera from recording more that will eventually overwrite the event.
And i have 8 hours of turn around time on my cameras ( 64 Gb / channel ), so will have to be unconscious & without help for a long while in my car for that to happen.

1. Try formatting the SD card in the BlackVue desktop viewer. If this doesn't work, try a firmware reflash from https://www.blackvue.com/downloads
  2. There's no physical event button for the DR590W, so you can't "manually" turn it on (unless you shake the dash cam to trigger the g-sensor)

On some older Russian crash videos you'll see the driver's hand giving the cam a good 'thump' to set off the G-sensor in order to lock a file. Not a recommended approach as this often knocks the cam out of aim which is probably why you don't see it done much anymore ;) IMHO all cams should have an easy-to-use button to lock files with but it's not an absolute necessity.

There are many advantages to using a big card size; not losing a desired vid is just one. You also get less card wear so it lasts longer and you will find that the cost per GB today is usually better with cards in the 64 to 128GB range even without considering their extended longevity. These cards are relatively cheap so even less affluent folks like me can justify the small cost of having a better deal in the long run :)

Phil

hi all,

is this function only for DR750X-1CH with the waving of your hand ?

Thanks

Back