Covert Camera Mount

Mr_Ploppy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I did not want to have to remember to mount and unmount and take unit out of the car all the time. So this is what I came up with. Its not perfect and I know there are cons to this set up, You can not see the screen, but then who cares, most people find it an annoyance that is stays on for 3 min as it is. You can not press the Mode button to save a clip, well I can live with that, the 16gb card in it give me plenty of time to get a clip off the unit.

I hollowed a spare rear view mirror, and there is just enough space to hide the dash cam behind the glass. with only the lense pocking out. I had to strip out the thing that tilts the glass to stop headlight from behind blinding you, which I've never use. And then epoxy the ball socket to the top of the unit, rather that be inside, to make enough room.

Just waiting for a right angled mini USB connector to arrive, then its good to go.

Any comments and improvements welcome.

TODO: Might scratch off a small circle of the mirror backing, just so I can see the red light of the dash cam.

Attachments

• IMG_1349.JPG
    IMG_1349.JPG
    141.3 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_1348.JPG
    IMG_1348.JPG
    166.3 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_1352.JPG
    IMG_1352.JPG
    220.6 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_1353.JPG
    IMG_1353.JPG
    164.9 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_1355.JPG
    IMG_1355.JPG
    171.8 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_1356.JPG
    IMG_1356.JPG
    267.4 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
I have the G1WH so it is wider angle than the G1W, so aim is not too bad.

Very 007, nice work :)

Very slick!
I have often wondered if you could take a dash cam apart and do something like this, seems it is possible!

now, there's thinking out of the box!...good work!

is temperature a problem?
I live in England, it's cold most of the time. I've not noticed the unit getting hot. I've only done short journeys so that might be why.

I live in England, it's cold most of the time. I've not noticed the unit getting hot. I've only done short journeys so that might be why.

If we are due another summer like last year where we went into the 90's (F) it may melt :)

Great job!
With same thing I started experimenting 2y ago. Ruined few mirrors I bought from scrap-yard :)
Some tips:
- if you have incar headunit with AV-in, you can connect it and check time to time video status if needed.
- if there is no much space inside mirror to turn dash cam enough to get correct angle, you can remove dashcam front shell, then you have more angle to play with ( turn left / right ). Lens fixed directly to PCB so nothing changes, all will be fine. The only thing in that case you need fixing speaker to mirror inner shell.
- add ( glue ) mini size hinges between mirror glass and mirror shell on thd bottom of mirror shell + locking mechanism on top of mirror ( magnetic ), this way you will be able to open / closs "door" (@glass) to get quickly to dashcam buttons and memory card. Kinda flip-down mechanism. Hope I could describe it in words to understand what I mean.

=If we are due another summer like last year where we went into the 90's (F) it may melt :)

On the 13 July 2013 we reached a whopping 35 oC
At that temperature I melt aswell :eek:

Ohh Niko, some good ideas there def look into them. Stereo does have Av input, didn't think about that.

Last edited:
On the 13 July 2013 we reached a whopping 35 oC
At that temperature I melt aswell :eek:

Ohh Niko, some good ideas there def look into them. Stereo does have Av input, didn't think about that.

Glad you find my ideas useful.

Back