CPL lens for B1W cam received, before and after video posted

Looks kind of the same. Is it rotated correctly?

The way the lens is shaped, you can't put it on sideways. It is shaped in a way that it fits around the camera some, almost like the letter C.

If you look watch the video, you will see that the lens really does lighten up the reflection. I don't think you can expect it to eliminate it completely. Even in the preview image on the video window above, you can see a difference. I think it looks good.

Last edited:
If I look through the lens at my laptop screen, the screen goes completely black when the lens is turned at a negative (counter-clockwise) 45 degree angle. That's relative to that it fits on the camera at a 0 degree angle.

My sunglasses behave the exact same way. When I turn them counter-clockwise 45-degrees looking at my laptop, they go completely black. Many laptop screens are polarized at 45 degrees for whatever reason. So, I am sure that the CPL lens on the camera is manufactured properly. And, again, it cannot be mounted wrong on the camera. The "C" shape of the lens mount won't allow it to go on sideways.

Last edited:
My sunglasses behave the exact same way.
I expect to see more improvement than that, do your sunglasses remove all of the reflection off you windshield or are they partial too, maybe it is your windshield that is at the wrong angle...

My CPL also arrived today, testing it against my computer monitor it seems perfectly aligned, and also has good anti-reflection coatings. Compared to my mini 0906 CPL the image is significantly clearer. Also works nicely to remove the reflections off water, gets all of them if the angle is correct.

Fits nicely and looks good, seems well made - very impressed.

The only problem I have found is that if the camera is upside down then I loose the top left corner of the image:
1534342624447.png

So if the camera was the normal way up then I might expect to loose the bottom right corner, but there are only a few pixels affected, seems like when the camera is upside down it uses a part of the sensor further to the right, maybe it can be corrected to use the same part of the sensor both ways up?

Mine was an early camera, maybe the lens or sensor is not perfectly aligned, so may not be the filter at fault...

Now time to try it in the car...

CPL lens has been received, the before and after video is below!

It would be easier for us to judge the effectiveness of the CPL by showing a before & after video frame from the same scene when the car is not moving.

My CPL also arrived today, testing it against my computer monitor it seems perfectly aligned, and also has good anti-reflection coatings. Compared to my mini 0906 CPL the image is significantly clearer. Also works nicely to remove the reflections off water, gets all of them if the angle is correct.

Fits nicely and looks good, seems well made - very impressed.

The only problem I have found is that if the camera is upside down then I loose the top left corner of the image:
Your screenshot looks like it has a small amount of vignetting in the bottom left corner too, so that's both left corners. I read in the other B1W CPL thread:
The polarizer appears to be machined symmetrical, however, the B1W is tapered toward the ends. This means that if you press the polarizer on all the way, it will sit crooked on the camera. Instead, to keep the filter glass parallel, you have to push it on straight until just the inner side makes contact, leaving a small gap on the outer side. Not a big deal, but perhaps the machining could be adjusted (different on the two sides) for future production to make installation more foolproof.
Could the B1W's tapered sides account for the vignetting on one edge of your video?

Your screenshot looks like it has a small amount of vignetting in the bottom left corner too, so that's both left corners. I read in the other B1W CPL thread:

Could the B1W's tapered sides account for the vignetting on one edge of your video?
I think it sits flat against the front of the lens, so although there is a slight difference in the gap to the body, the gap to the lens front is zero all around - no problem.

I don't think there is vignetting in the bottom left, there was a slight shadow on the wall down there. The issue I think is that when the camera is upside down, the image is taken from the top left of the sensor rather than the middle, although it is a 1080 sensor they do normally have a few spare pixels around the sides.

I expect to see more improvement than that, do your sunglasses remove all of the reflection off you windshield or are they partial too, maybe it is your windshield that is at the wrong angle...

Yes, I can still see those reflections when I wear my sunglasses. It looks about like the "after" video does when I wear the sunglasses.

First time I've had a chance to compare 'with' & 'without' views since receiving the CPL filter a couple of days ago.
The first picture is 'without' and the second 'with' the CP filter fitted and clearly, the filter has taken away the dashboard reflections to a great extent. Situation was when the car was parked this morning.

One query - the small instruction card which came with the filter asks the user to remove the protective film from the lens. Am I assuming correctly that this refers to fitting the filter to a new B1W camera lens because the filter does not have a protective film. Or at least mine doesn't but my B1W lens had when new.

@estore009

Attachments

• 20180820093404.jpg
    20180820093404.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 20180820093553.jpg
    20180820093553.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
First time I've had a chance to compare 'with' & 'without' views since receiving the CPL filter a couple of days ago.
The first picture is 'without' and the second 'with' the CP filter fitted and clearly, the filter has taken away the dashboard reflections to a great extent. Situation was when the car was parked this morning.

One query - the small instruction card which came with the filter asks the user to remove the protective film from the lens. Am I assuming correctly that this refers to fitting the filter to a new B1W camera lens because the filter does not have a protective film. Or at least mine doesn't but my B1W lens had when new.

@estore009
I guess most people will buy the filter with the new camera, so the advice about removing the protective film from the lens before hiding it under the filter seems very wise.

I seem to have my B1W mounted too high up the windscreen and the filter doesn't remove the reflections from the bottom of the image due to the angle, works really well in the centre of the image though. I will have to move the camera before posting before and after images, but I am impressed with the results, one of the best CPLs I've encountered, seems to have really good anti-reflection coatings, and well made too with glass filter mounted in a very solid aluminium mount.

I guess most people will buy the filter with the new camera, so the advice about removing the protective film from the lens before hiding it under the filter seems very wise.

I seem to have my B1W mounted too high up the windscreen and the filter doesn't remove the reflections from the bottom of the image due to the angle, works really well in the centre of the image though. I will have to move the camera before posting before and after images, but I am impressed with the results, one of the best CPLs I've encountered, seems to have really good anti-reflection coatings, and well made too with glass filter mounted in a very solid aluminium mount.

That's probably my issue as well, from the original post with the video. Mounted at the very top of the windshield, and the windshield is really angled out far, but I am happy with it. It removes enough glare that I am satisfied with it. I just bought a 2nd camera, and I will probably purchase a CPL for it as well.

Finally got around to comparing my B1W with and without the CPL. Honestly I like it a lot since I do get noticeably less reflection/glare on the windshield. Below is a quick comparison video I took basically in direct sunlight.

Finally got around to comparing my B1W with and without the CPL. Honestly I like it a lot since I do get noticeably less reflection/glare on the windshield. Below is a quick comparison video I took basically in direct sunlight.

That's really nice!!!!!

Back