DAB radio problem

tigermad

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had my Thinkware Front and Rear cameras installed last week. I asked the installer about the DAB intereference some of these can cause and he said it was a very rare problem. Unfortunately I now have the DAB problem. Sometimes it can be fine for ages then it cuts out completely and doesn't come back or switch to FM. He ran the wire to the rear camera through the passenger side above the doors. The cable does have some kind of supressor on it but it obviously doesn't make any difference. The DAB also seems to be worse when my stop start kicks in (I have a cellink battery hardwired to the car battery via the fuse box and dashcam attached to the cellink).

Is it worth me phoning the installers up since it is something I did ask about prior to installation or is there nothing that can be done and I will just have to stream my music from now on.

Last edited:
Here's a couple threads dealing with RFI which is all the same whether it be DAB, FM, or AM radio.
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/radio-interference-from-camera-mounted-in-rear-window.20620/
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/fm-interference.11958/
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/fm-interference.11958/
There isn't always a good solution but usually there is. If you see something in these threads that your installer has done, either you or them can try reworking things a bit to see if it helps.

Phil

Did the installer use any adaptors?

tigermad - what vehicle is the F770 fitted to as I know some people with BMW & Audi have had problems with DAB by fitting rear camera at the top of rear glass adjacent to the antenna, they rerouted cable & camera to the bottom of the glass, ie further away from the antenna, I'm in the process myself of fitting the F770 to a my BMW F11 and after reading about some people have had problems with the DAB radio after fitting the rear camera, personally myself I would rather fit my rear camera at the top of rear glass, but put on hold mount the rear camera until I can get more info and if using ferrite rings around the lead next to the camera would help.

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/550-interference-with-dab-radio.2860/page-5

http://www.conrad-electronic.co.uk/...x-5-mm-5-mm-Richco-FERRIT-RRC10-05-20-M-1-pcs

Last edited:
Update to my own concerns regarding Dab problems during my own installation thus trying to avoid this situation during installation, as I could not find a definative answer I went ahead and installed the rear camera at the top of the glass, unfortunetly the rear camera cable was coming in on the wrorg side of camera input, it would have been easy if the software supplied could rotate the image round, but as I had previously already installed the cable from the front already, I thought this will amost certainly cause dab problems because I had to run the cable up across the headlining then back to the camera input, which meant the cable was passing twice near the dab antenna which is situated in the top of the tailgate, at this stage I had not used any ferrite rings because I was certain they would not work being the cable was in close proximity to the dab antenna, surprise surprise when initially test setup with the dad radio tuned in it work perfectly stationary, I then went on a long drive out in the country and towns and only very briefly for 1- 2 seconds and just the once the radio cut out in a town, and I have found that with dab radio this can occur at certain location anyway without any dash cam, so I'm very surprised and pleased that my install was a great sucess with no problems regarding dab interference.

I too have F770, and DAB, I have my rear cam mounted at top of glass, on 07 meriva, front cam behind mirror, I ran my leads around top of nearside doors, which is also where the radio aerial lead goes, following advice from my mate who does electronics I fitted the ferrite core to as close to the front cam as possible(on rear cam lead), and 90% of problems went away, I then installed
a KINETIC dedicated dab aerial, must have picked up 300% more stations altogether on dab and fm, crystal clear, aerial was about £70 but well worth it, leads are all bunched together, actually tie wrapped and live in harmony

Update to my own concerns regarding Dab problems during my own installation thus trying to avoid this situation during installation, as I could not find a definative answer I went ahead and installed the rear camera at the top of the glass, unfortunetly the rear camera cable was coming in on the wrorg side of camera input, it would have been easy if the software supplied could rotate the image round, but as I had previously already installed the cable from the front already, I thought this will amost certainly cause dab problems because I had to run the cable up across the headlining then back to the camera input, which meant the cable was passing twice near the dab antenna which is situated in the top of the tailgate, at this stage I had not used any ferrite rings because I was certain they would not work being the cable was in close proximity to the dab antenna, surprise surprise when initially test setup with the dad radio tuned in it work perfectly stationary, I then went on a long drive out in the country and towns and only very briefly for 1- 2 seconds and just the once the radio cut out in a town, and I have found that with dab radio this can occur at certain location anyway without any dash cam, so I'm very surprised and pleased that my install was a great sucess with no problems regarding dab interference.

Update- My above statement was before I coiled up the little bit of slack rear camera cable whilst there was not much slack cable I coiled it up into small coils and use cable ties to make a neat job and tucked out off sight behind a rear trim panel, feeling real pleased it looked a real professional job, now been out today and dab was cutting out for 30 seconds to a minute and at places it does not normanly cut out, I have not had chance uncoil the rear camera cable, but as it was perfect before I would lay money on this is what had change things, all other cables from front camera and the cellink B battery were coiled before with no problems, when I get a chance I will put the rear camera cable back to how it was before although it does not look tidy I cant see it as its behind a panel anyway, I will let everyone know if this stops the dab issue as it did before, I imediately thought this may be one of the direct causes of dab problems with other users if the rear camera cable is coiled up.

A coiled wire or cable forms an 'inductor" which will respond to frequencies related to it's inductance. That can be good or bad according to whether you're getting interference or not. It is generally a bad practice to coil wires or cables though many people do it ;)

Phil

Phil - Thats what I concluded because it was alright before I coiled up the rear camera lead, strange the Cellink B battery leads and front camera were coiled with no problems, I expect the rear camera lead which passes very close the the dab antenna is the reason why its just that lead.

It's a pity British Telecom don't even know the basics, recently swapped to fibre with masses of problems, and 0.21mbps speed!!
Long story short some ass wipe BT engineer had coiled 16 feet of wire for my line in bottom of one of the boxes in pavement after doing repair, working decent at last after 11 YEARS of trouble and being able to hear other peoples conversations and join in, following fix I now get 27.50mbps!!

Good news update I have just got round to uncoiling the rear camera feed cable and that has now eradicated the DAB radio problem that occured after coiling cable up after initial installation, whilst there was only a couple of small coils it obviously makes a big difference to interference on the dab radio.

Good news update I have just got round to uncoiling the rear camera feed cable and that has now eradicated the DAB radio problem that occured after coiling cable up after initial installation, whilst there was only a couple of small coils it obviously makes a big difference to interference on the dab radio.
Thanks for these replies. Only just seen them. :) Installer is coming back out on 15th. If you have not coiled the rear camera cable now by the camera how have you done the wiring? Is it all hanging out?

Thanks for these replies. Only just seen them. :) Installer is coming back out on 15th. If you have not coiled the rear camera cable now by the camera how have you done the wiring? Is it all hanging out?

The surplus rear camera feed was just puilled back to the rear fuse location on the BMW F11 and now not coiled, as its hidden behind the removable trim panel I cant see it.

I just done a general installation guide which may help you how I fitted my Thinkware F770 into my BMW F11 with a Cellink B battery.

http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/127114-installing-a-thinkware-f770-dual-dash-cam-into-a-f11/

The surplus rear camera feed was just puilled back to the rear fuse location on the BMW F11 and now not coiled, as its hidden behind the removable trim panel I cant see it.

I just done a general installation guide which may help you how I fitted my Thinkware F770 into my BMW F11 with a Cellink B battery.

http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/127114-installing-a-thinkware-f770-dual-dash-cam-into-a-f11/
Thanks for the info. Do you have trouble with your camera picking up gps? You have attached the front camera lower than the black dotted area so it is hidden away from view more. The black dotted area is normally the good gps area.

Thanks for the info. Do you have trouble with your camera picking up gps? You have attached the front camera lower than the black dotted area so it is hidden away from view more. The black dotted area is normally the good gps area.

No problems gps works perfectly it locks on within 30- 40 seconds or so as soon as you start the engine.

Have just spent a day routing cables and fitting Thinkware F770 to my 2015 A5 sportback. Routed power and rear camera cables through headlining to rear of car. Power from fuse box in boot. Camera mounted to top of rear screen. I had fitted ferrite rings before turning on to power supply at front camera.
DAB was intermittent (Dropped in and out) when I first tried it so I have just fitted 2 more ferrite rings, one to the lead going to the rear camera at front camera connection and one on lead near rear camera. This seems to have sorted it, DAB now shows full signal

Back