Dash Cam for Father's Day. Please Help Me :)

GauravB82

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hello there,

My father is getting a new car this week. I would like to give him a dash cam to keep in it for father's day.
I am overwhelmed by what I am learning and I am not a very hands on or technical person.
I think the requirements for him are the following:

* Preferably a product I can easily obtain in Australia (eg. www.dashcamsaustralia.com.au)
* The ability to run dash cam software on an Apple MAC (therefore includes GPS recording capability)
* Front and Rear view cameras
* Capacitor battery with high-temp safeguards for Australian summers
* Parking mode / always on / impact detection
* Low battery usage / battery drain prevention

The primary 'problem' is this car will spend most of its time securely garaged. And so while we do want it to have an always on capability for when he takes it out, I doubt he'd drive it too much. I am worried therefore, that it would drain the battery.

I am not limited to these, but it seems like the Lukas 9700 DUO, Marcus 5, and the Thinkware F750 are the only good options, but they're all lacking in some way. The Lukas is rather large I think and I don't think I can use the software on the Mac. The Marcus 5 doesn't mention anything in the way of battery drain prevention, and Vivocation is now selling a 'Power Plus Hardware Kit' alongside it which I don't know if i need or want to spend another $89 on. Lastly the Thinkware F750 looks rather complete but they mention absolutely nothing about battery drain prevention.

I am reading a lot of stuff about people using USB power kits and this or that and I don't really know what my options are for my father's needs. Could you kindly assist with some choices or alternatives? Please be specific as I am unfamiliar with acronyms and products I haven't encountered yet, or what they do. Thanks in advance.

of the 3 you've shortlisted the Thinkware would be the better choice from a hardware perspective, not sure what sort of Mac support they have though

... the Thinkware F750 looks rather complete but they mention absolutely nothing about battery drain prevention.

BDP is a standard feature built-in to the F750...

image.jpg

Last edited:
Could always ask Thinkware or it's seller directly about Mac support.

Phil

Back