Dash cam for proving I'm not distracted

Brian H

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,

I want to purchase a dash cam primarily for being able to defend myself if I'm pulled over / in an accident where they claim I was distracted or on my cell phone. I'm paranoid of getting pulled over while using my phone to listen to music and being charged with using a cell phone while driving.

My intent would be to mount the camera in the back of my car, like in this video. Would buying a G1W allow me to do this? And is this a legit buying source

Thanks!

for what you want I'd look at using a Mobius, more expensive but a greater product by far, a lot more discreet when mounted also

FWIW, where I live, like various other states in the northeastern US all hand held devices have been banned for use while driving as of October 1st, 2014. This includes cell phones, PDAs, laptops, tablets, MP3 players, and gaming devices. The idea is that any form of distracted driving is unacceptable, so whether you are using your phone to make a call or using it to listen to music wouldn't really matter in the eyes of the law. This came about in my state after about 500 crashes and quite a number of fatalities were linked to using hand held devices while behind the wheel. So depending on which state you are driving in you might not really want to have video of yourself listening to music on your cell phone unless it is mounted in a suitable cradle.

Last edited:
Yeah get a mobius and place it in the lower Right corner of the windscreen and aim it at your seat, this way you and your hands will be in the footage all the time.
And get a good headunit to listen & control your music and make handsfree calls, this headunit got my attention, just need it to be released and me to be able to afford to buy it.
And it can handle the "fruit phones" too if you are into those.
http://www.engadget.com/2015/01/04/parrot-rnb6-android-auto-apple-carplay/

And i think its still okay to meddle with your headunit though that allso cose a good deal of accidents on the streets every year, but so far even the lame Danish lawmakers havent figured that out.

Do the cops check your phone for call and text history or just him seeing you holding phone is enough?

Do the cops check your phone for call and text history or just him seeing you holding phone is enough?

It's tough. I've heard enough anecdoal evidence to convince me that cops don't care at all about your cell phone logs / history and you will have to pay up regardless. In my case, the phone wouldn't even be in my hands. I just use earbuds (100% legal in my state) or connect it to the speakers and leave the phone in my pocket or on the passenger seat.

If the use of the device is legally prohibited, then regardless of what you're using it for you will get a ticket. Playing music could be seen as "using" your phone! I suggest a stand-alone MP3 player for your earbuds.

My state (SC) allows all phone use but no text; some local laws (like my city) prohibits any use except hands-free phone. If you pull over to use your phone, do so in a private parking lot. You will get ticketed for illegal stopping or illegal parking if you just pull over to the side of the road.

I fixed the clock in my truck so I wouldn't be seen looking at my phone- better to play it safe. Even with a cam recording, you'll have a tough time fighting the system and it will probably cost you more time than it's worth.

We get kinda the same issues here, some ppl using earbuds have gotten a ticket and they dont undestand that as they are "hands free".
But really they are not hands free when they handle the phone to start or end a call.
Some ppl here do pull over to take a call, and thats allright as long as it is not a place where it is illigal to stop or park.
I have seen ppl that have stopped to take a call and then pulled too far off the road just to slide sideways down into the ditch alongside the road :D
But it do result in some strange "stops" at times, but i will take that any day over ppl handling ther phones while driving.

I allso think its illigal here to drink while driving, but i never heard about any one getting a ticket for that.
That is somthing i like as i often have a coke or my beloved Faxe kondi at hand while driving :) i have even been known to enjoy a icecream while driving :rolleyes: that will proberly land me a ticket if a cop saw that while in a bad mood.

And i have allmost crashed my car cuz i was focused on the headunit in my car, which just prove a fjew fractions of a second of not paying attention, and you are on a highway to hell in the worst case.

Back