Dash cam newbie

tybressey

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I seem to be going round in circles here! Is there any dash cams available that can be mounted on the dashboard or do they have to be on the windscreen? Thanks.

The most cams seem to be best mounted on the windscreen, but there is a fjew that have a shape that will allow for mounting on the dashbord.

Prime is the little mobius, there is at least 1 guy ( american ) that have a mobius on his dashbord, when he is avay from the car he just put s cap over the camera to cover it.

If you have some DIY skills the range of cameras you can use open up a lot, but they you will have to dream up and make some form of mounting bracket yourself.

O and welcome to the forum tybressey.

I seem to be going round in circles here! Is there any dash cams available that can be mounted on the dashboard or do they have to be on the windscreen? Thanks.

Welcome to forum !

May I ask why your choice of dashcam installation is dashboard ?

Thanks for the quick replies guys. I have no diy skills only a big hammer!
I just thought a dash cam mounted on the dash would make it easier to get power to.

Power isent really that hard, on my car i can route the wiere under the dashbord from the centet console where my ciggy plug is, up between door and dashbord, and then i need a phillips head scredriver to remove 1 screw so i can get the plastic off my A-pillar- then i am back to toolless as i press wire in between headliner and the roof along the top of the windscreen.
GPS antenna is in upper Left corner of windscreen, its wire is allso just pushed in over the headliner as it go to the center where my dashcam is mounted.

About a 5 minute job in my car ( Suzuki Splash ) souldent be no more than a 15 minute job in most cars.

Try have a feel around in your car, i think you will find there is ample room to push in a wire along the headliner. And if you drive a cheapo car like me you might even find a gap large enuff along the A-pillar where you can wedge in some wire too.

you might allso be able to enlist some one from in there that live in your area that can help with the install, i would do it for the chance to meet one of the guys, and maybe a cold soft drink if its a warm day.

BUT. i am all the way over here on the other side of the sea.

What car do you have ??

Thanks for the quick replies guys. I have no diy skills only a big hammer!
I just thought a dash cam mounted on the dash would make it easier to get power to.

We measure "easiness" in 1 or 2 minutes installation difference.
To run power cable along side A-pillar ( easy / quick way ) takes about 30 sec - 1 min, ok for you maybe 2-3 ( max 5 min ). It is fairly easy job.
Drawback of dashcam installed on dashboard is more bonnet in the video and more attraction to thieves.
If dashcam moutned high in around RVmirror, then it will record more vertical footage ( less bonnet ) and if you select discrete design dashcam then it will be barely visible from outside, hence almost no worry with thieves.

@niko

Although your question wasn't for me, I do have a cam mounted to the top of the dashboard for the following reasons:

1. Virtually no reflections which considerably improves video quality.
2. In my car, with the large plastic sensor housing for the auto-lights and auto-wipers, and with wiper blades covering almost the whole windscreen, it's difficult to mount most cams in a legal position (and ironically those which are technically legal tend to interfere more with my field of view!). See picture below.
3. Some cams have more versatile mounts, some can have their image inverted, and some can do both, which makes dash-top mounting of those cams easier.

But it has a few potential downsides:

1. Positioned in full sun, so could get very hot (although my dash-top cam is silver in colour so reflects a lot of the light, including it causing a bit more windscreen reflection).
2. More visible to a thief (although my car, being a DPF-equipped diesel, tends not to be used much in town or car parks; I use our small petrol car for that).
3. At night, headlamps of oncoming cars shine straight into the camera, which isn't the case with a high-mounted camera.
4. When it's wet, reflections off puddles, especially at night, also affect image quality.

-

Thanks guys. I think I will find someone who could hard wire one for me. It seems the obvious way to go.

Yeah. If you have a M8 that have a little DIY skill it should be no problem for him to run a wire ir 2 for you.

A pint at the pub for a friends help beats handing over cold cash to some store to fit your camera.

Back