Dash Cam Suggestions

Texas-Hunter

Reaction score
Country
United States
For someone as myself being a newbie and have no expertise in the dash cam world. I ask of you to help guide me to a cam that will hopefully fulfill our needs.

Here is what I have, I work for a company that have 125 plus service vans on the roads almost every day here in the Dallas / Fort Worth Area... What I am looking for is a dash cam that will be activated when the service vehicle is started and then turns off when they arrive to their destination and shut off their vans without any human interaction. Needed due to the techs not always going to remember to turn it on and off.

A few other items...

• Can the microphone be muted so it does not pic up any sounds
  • Will the SD Card clear on its own each day or is this a manual thing that needs to be done.
  • Do they make them with any time of GPS?

I have a few others but will wait to take these in..

Thank you

Ken

For someone as myself being a newbie and have no expertise in the dash cam world. I ask of you to help guide me to a cam that will hopefully fulfill our needs.

Here is what I have, I work for a company that have 125 plus service vans on the roads almost every day here in the Dallas / Fort Worth Area... What I am looking for is a dash cam that will be activated when the service vehicle is started and then turns off when they arrive to their destination and shut off their vans without any human interaction. Needed due to the techs not always going to remember to turn it on and off.

A few other items...

• Can the microphone be muted so it does not pic up any sounds
  • Will the SD Card clear on its own each day or is this a manual thing that needs to be done.
  • Do they make them with any time of GPS?

I have a few others but will wait to take these in..

Thank you

Ken

1. All dash cams these days starts / stops rec with ignition on/off

2. Mic muted = yes on most dashcams

3. Recording to memory card in so called loop-recording, old files gets overwritten, but why you need data to be cleared at the end of the day?

4. GPS log = available on some models

3. Recording to memory card in so called loop-recording, old files gets overwritten, but why you need data to be cleared at the end of the day?

That shows how much I do not know of these cams.. I had thought you had to manually clear them..

So for an average 9-10 day of driving what size card would I be looking at (eg) 32, 64, 128??

they keep recycling so that you always have the last however many hours fit that card size, there's a recording calculator on the main page of the site here where you can enter different values and see what that will give you

Ease of removal, is the power cord removable and not hard wired in??

Yeah, almost all dashcams have a cigarette lighter plug.

The reason I ask is HVAC/R service vans are a huge target and we have been able to secure the cargo area from thieves but the cab no matter what we do they find a way in and away the cam goes if it does not remove easily..

The reason I ask is HVAC/R service vans are a huge target and we have been able to secure the cargo area from thieves but the cab no matter what we do they find a way in and away the cam goes if it does not remove easily..

You need dashcam with quick and easy attach-detatch system. Unfort 99.9% dashcams out there dont have convenient easy quick attach-detatch system, which is actually is as important as performance of dashcam, but it looks like majority of manufacturers concentrating their effort on video rec performance, and less for mount-dismount solution, thats why you will find a lot of my ready made prototypes ideas from "DIY Projects" sub-forum, where I am trying to get attention of manufacturets to think seriously about this issue.

Probably one of the few manufacturets who started thinking more practically and listen to end user needs, especially in regards of quick and easy mount-dismount is @jokiin. Check his sub-forum products ( GuardTrak ). Maybe you like his solution?

Back