Dash Cam University Projects & Advice needed

JamesBurgess7

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I am in my final year at university studying a degree in Product Design Engineering MEng.

I am currently investigating dash cams and looking to redesign a dash cam for my individual project. This project means a lot to me and I would greatly greatly appreciate it if you could take some time to fill out my short survey linked below. It is fully anonymous and should only take a minute.

Thanks in advanced from a very stressed out uni student,

James :)

https://stratheng.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_9ov2xLr2u4ahqGF

I did the survey out of curiosity. There is very little about dash cams other than do you have one and where is it mounted, the rest seems to be focused more on driver assistance/safety/awareness. Just curious how you intend to incorporate that information into a dash cam redesign.

I did the survey out of curiosity. There is very little about dash cams other than do you have one and where is it mounted, the rest seems to be focused more on driver assistance/safety/awareness. Just curious how you intend to incorporate that information into a dash cam redesign.
I was wanting to incorporate driver assistance and safety aspects into the design/redesign of my proposed dash cam, and was wanting to receive input from actual dash cam owners, there isnt much focus on the actual dash cam itself as this is a preliminary survey.
Thank you for taking your time to answer the survey!!!

The last time we saw a "student" survey like this presented here on DCT it turned out to be someone doing marketing research who was apparently not actually a student. This appears to be the same sort of endeavor.

The last time we saw a "student" survey like this presented here on DCT it turned out to be someone doing marketing research who was apparently not actually a student. This appears to be the same sort of endeavor.
Ahhh hi hi, i can guarantee you im not some sort of marketing, i am a student from the university of strathclyde in scotland!! Cannot express enough how much this survey means towards my individual project and my final degree grade.

BTW, FYI, for quite some time now there have been numerous dash cams on the market that offer driver assistance features as they are already built into many of the dash cam specific DSPs on the market. Most users report that they don't function well compared to those same features already in modern automobiles, are a distraction, and add unnecessary complexity. The vast majority of users report initially testing out these features and then permanently turning them off.

From my perspective, driving assistance features are a waste in a dashcam- better to integrate those into the car itself.

Even if they work properly and reliably (almost never happens in a dashcam:() all they can do is issue an audible and/or visual alert. To be truly effective this kind of technology needs to do more. You should be paying attention to your driving- not counting on something else to do that for you- because you'll become reliant on it and not be able to deal with things when the technology fails. We see this happen regularly with Tesla cars which is probably have the best systems at present, so IMHO it's a path not worth taking. But if you can do it better than is being done now then by all means pursue your course, and with vigor (y)

Phil

Also, a dashcam sensor is the wrong sort of sensor to use. My drone does not use the main camera for obstacle avoidance, it has smaller stereo pairs of cameras for that so that it can judge distances, and the ones built into cars often use radar or lidar as the main sensor.

Not sure there is much point in putting it in a dashcam anyway given that it is going to become a legal requirement for new cars to be fitted with these systems soon.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Dash Cam Discussion 0
Giri43 Dash Cam Discussion 0
T Dash Cam Discussion 0
G Dash Cam Discussion 0
I Dash Cam Discussion 6
Back