Dash cams originating from a power source...?

Crossy

Reaction score
Country
United States
...by that I mean are there any dash cams where the main unit containing the electronics and storage lives near the fuse box or source of power and the cables for the cameras are distributed to the front and rear of the car?

All the popular ones originate from the front camera and you have to route (sometimes thick) cables from that point down to the power source and back to the rear camera for a 2 channel setup. A few require a third cable for GPS.

As far as I can tell by just trying to find a clean solution is that fat/long/awkward/not-pliable USB and power and 3.5 jack connectors are more difficult to deal with than placing the actual main unit. Is there anything that starts from the power source and can be hidden and then route to an unobtrusive camera on each end with one thin cable?

Last edited:
Welcome to DCT :)
Such cams have been made, and are generally referred to as "Dual Remote". Motorcycle cams are made this way but usually have shorter cables. Street Guardian is working on such a cam now though no release date has been set, but it should be a very good cam when it's done. All these still have somewhat thick cables between the cams and main unit- there's always going to have to be some means of powering the cam units so even with a wireless set-up one power wire would be run. So far nobody has offered this kind of set-up and I don't know of any in the works, but it would IMHO be a more ideal solution.

Phil

Thank for the information Phil, i'll be on the lookout for Street Guardian if I don't pick something different before it's released.

And thanks for the welcome from you both, I'm sure i'll have more questions after I learn a little more.

I suspect we will see a few cameras based on the idea of having the cameras remote from the main unit, i even think we will see some single channel systems too.
And IMHO that's all good as i feel this is the best way to move forward with dashcams.
Street guardians "DR" model will probably be the first one as far as i can tell, but i think spring 2019 will be interesting.

The cables on these new systems will probably be just like on the current dual channel models, its just with a main unit you can stash that elsewhere, but depending on what you do you can even get more work with the "DR" systems i recon as you have 2 cameras to place and route wires to, but with the "DR" systems it is just one wire to each camera + a wire for the GPS antenna you have to put on the dashboard or windscreen.
The current dual channel systems you have 3 wires to route to / from the main front unit ( power - rear camera - GPS antenna ) but GPS antenna are easy as it is just off to a side in the corner of windscreen so just a few feet of tucking wire up over headliner ( done in seconds )
It took me about 30 minutes to install my dual channel system, on a public parking lot in light rain with the aid of a screwdriver and the pry tool in the box, sadly the video of the install dident work so i had to ditch that part of the new camera.
Okay i have gook knowledge of my car and what can be done as dashcams have gone in and out of it since 2012, for a novice with a car he don't really know it will take a bit longer.

Welcome to the forum Crossy ( in Denmark we call a dirt bike a "Crosser" derived of its full Danish name motocross motorcykel )

Last edited:
That's a good point, thanks, and I'll probably wait until spring anyway when it gets warmer.

I raced motocross when I was younger so that's how I picked that username, cheers!

DVR based dashcams make a lot of sense, as dual cameras are common and I think full coverage will be the future.

I would love a DVR with a hard drive or SSD and several wired cameras, but that product does not exist except for some low res systems

Back