Dash cams with lte

Keiths

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am considering a dash cam with lte technology. I use my car fairly infrequently, and when not in use it’s in a locked garage at my home.
However for when the car is in use I am quite keen on the idea of remote viewing. In my case this would be when I’m out and the car is parked for a few hours, or at most if I’m away and overnight.
My question, is it possible to have the camera shutdown, and then have it restart for a short remote view, or does the unit have to be left switched on for lte to function, and in which case how long before the 12v car battery drops below the necessary voltage to keep the dash cam powered?
My car is an EV, so the 12v battery is far from large as it isn’t required to start the car.
I suppose what I’m asking, is it the case that for lte operation even if just a matter of hours or overnight, an external battery pack is required??

Not all " smart" / Cloud cameras can give you remote viewing when in parking mode, though it do seem to be a option on newer models
It is something adopters of smart cameras have burned their fingers on, for instance it is the case with older i think both blackvue and thinkware cameras with radar, CUZ they sleep so deep to conserve power that the LTE modem also sleep, and so a event will have to wake up the camera before you can connect, i assume after you receive a notification.
But new systems, also with radar should have overcome this issue, but for sure something you will have to be mindful about shopping camera.

Using the radar according to system makers home pages greatly extend the time a camera can be in parking guard, but otherwise the challenge is power use

I assume you could fit a bigger Ah battery, maybe go to another type like AGM if the old one are lead acid CUZ those allow for deeper discharge.
Or you can go for a dedicated dashcam power pack, which of course add to the establishing cost.

I am unsure in regard to EV vehicles, do they charge their " regular " battery as fast as a smoker car do ?
CUZ you of course want to recharge what ever battery you use as fast as possible.
Dashcam power packs do have a limit usually as i recall hardwired the max is 13 A, which is A LOT less then a smoker car will charge its lead acid battery, at least initially.

This is where consumer market needs are now approaching the commercial market. At some point, manufacturers will be driven to provide a remote box that sits somewhere in the car; a box that will process the heavy load of imaging, file system, BT, WiFi, LTE and contain m.2 type memory. A box large enough for ambient and convective cooling. What will be on the windscreen will be nothing but the sensor, optics, GPS, and a screen for interface.

Power will be another issue and for those that want more than basic parking mode, they will need to invest heavily in power packs.

Back