Dashcam cable.

fatpanda

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I have a VicoVation dashcam in my car and the Mobius in the wifes car.I used the supplied power cables that came with the cameras and concealed the wiring from the dashcam back to the cigarette lighter.
The question is,"do you need to replace this cable each time you update to a new camera from a different manufacturer".

Generally speaking, you will not have a problem. Right now I'm using an original GT300W power cable on a rear mounted Mobius since it's the longest one I have that can reach from the center console to the back of the car. For my forward facing GT300W I'm using a shorter generic USB cable hardwired to the fuse box with a female cig lighter socket and a dual outlet USB 3.1A car adapter.

Jokiin is right. In order to view Mobius video on my android phone only certain Mini USB cables will work in conjunction with the OTG cable.
Most of the time though it will work out.

Jokiin is right. In order to view Mobius video on my android phone only certain Mini USB cables will work in conjunction with the OTG cable.

OTG is another aspect. USB devices are masters or slaves. The Mobius is a slave as is a keyboard; your PC is a master, but your Android likely can be either. It normally is a slave but the OTG cable tells it to be a master.

Of course, to work it must be able to be a master, and have all the right stuff. The OTG just activates that function.

Last edited:
Hey fatpanda, to answer your question about having to replace the cable when you update the cam in the car, NO. You don't. USB 2.0 standards are in place for a reason, the power on the port for one device will be the same for another device, so using a standard usb cable will work.
I have my power all tucked away neatly hidden in my car since 2006, and I have used a variety of cameras, Gopro Hero Black, Mobius, Wing cam2 , about 3 different keychain cam varients, and two un branded dashcams, all using the same cable to power them during cruises.

So you can keep your cable tucked away each time you switch cameras... lol,

I have a VicoVation dashcam in my car and the Mobius in the wifes car.I used the supplied power cables that came with the cameras and concealed the wiring from the dashcam back to the cigarette lighter.
The question is,"do you need to replace this cable each time you update to a new camera from a different manufacturer".

I have found any I tried supplied power to the camera, but not all will allow the camera to auto-start recording, if that is not an issue for you you may get away with it.:confused:

because not all are wired the same way, as I mentioned previously
I agree jokiin, I was replying to CR8tive_leo who seems to have been lucky, in that, all his usbs have been wired the same..Fluke, I think.

Back