Dashcam Display When Driving

Rambler 1

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Chortau mirror mounted dashcam which gives a reasonably good quality picture under normal circumstances. However, when I start the car the camera activates and displays on the mirror, which at best reduces the quality of my rearward vision and at worst at night blocks any rearward view. I can turn the camera off but then it will not record until for some reason at some point in time it will start recording without the on mirror display which is fine. But then suddenly it will start to display on the mirror again, messing up your rearward view, which is a bit disconcerting if you are travelling on a busy motorway.

The problems are A) In a 120 mile journey it may only record 10 minutes and B) While I haven't asked, I'm sure the police would take a very dim view of having the on mirror display blocking or confusing your rearward view through the mirror.

Has anyone else had these issues and if so how did you overcome them.

While I haven't asked, I'm sure the police would take a very dim view of having the on mirror display blocking or confusing your rearward view through the mirror.
Quite likely to fail the MOT too, the rear view mirror is included in the checks. You could maybe pass by fitting a 2nd rear view mirror. As long as there is a clear view from one mirror and a "wing" mirror, then you are OK.

Can't help with the mirror cam, very few people here have them since the image quality for the mirror view isn't really up to legal standards in all lighting conditions, and the cameras tend not to be great. That seems to apply to all mirror cams, although technology is available now to do a decent quality one. Generally better to keep the OEM mirror and have a separate dashcam.

Back