Dashcam for Audi A3 convertible

Sprinterboy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a dashcam in my old van and liked the security of it especially as it carried on when parked but unbelievably it was stolen when some towrags burgled my shed. Obviously it picked them up arriving so they smashed through the door and took it.
Anyway I don't use the van much now and since retiring I treated myself to a A3 convertible.
I'd like to fit a dashcam but not having a headlining the wiring is going to be tricky. I'd settled on the viofo mini 2 but I'm not sure I can route the wiring safely and/or easily.
I've seen on YouTube people fitting Fitcam-x and Mercylion, and there are probably many more, and they seem very elegant solutions but I've never heard of these and have no idea of quality or reliability.

I'd like to fit a dashcam but not having a headlining the wiring is going to be tricky. I'd settled on the viofo mini 2 but I'm not sure I can route the wiring safely and/or easily.
Normally the power wire can go down the A pilar, behind the plastic cover, avoiding blocking any airbags. I've not looked at an A3 convertible though, suspect it doesn't have an airbag issue? All dashcams have a power cable, so this issue can't be avoided.

If you want a rear camera, you might consider a Viofo A229, since there is a waterproof rear camera available, which can solve the problem with putting the roof down and problems with poor visibility through the rear window.

Convertible owners seem to like the Viofo VS1, because of the size, not sure that is an issue on the A3 though, looks like it has a decent size screen, not a cramped one like many sports cars.

Back