Dashcam for TV Broadcasting

Jimtv

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi All,

I'm intending to use Dashcam footage in a TV show that's filming in a few months, and I am wondering about the best model and way to go about it.

I shot tests at the tail end of last year, primarily on Viofo a119 and a129. Their quality is good when the car is static, but I find when they are moving in busy streets then tend to loose detail, presumably from low bitrate for the amount of detail in fast moving environments.

I'd like to avoid having to rig action cams in their place, as dashcams feel authentic, and are obviously easier to use.

Ultimately I'm wondering how to get the best image with the highest bitrate. Are there recommendations? Should I install two separate cams, one front, one rear, to maintain bitrate?
I've also seen modding suggestions to up the rate, which we could do. I've been through the forum, but obviously there's huge amounts of info here, especially for a relative neophyte like myself.

Thanks for any and all advice!

Dashcam video is tuned to capture detail with less consideration given to all other image qualities. Action cams will give a more 'cinematic' look to the video with truer colors and a more realistic 'feel' for viewing. The two have a lot in common and some differences.

If you can manage the cam batteries and have enough card space to get what you want, then I'd recommend an action cam for this as none of the dashcam features and differences will be of benefit to your purposes.

Phil

Viofo A129 Pro is still my favorite for movie making, much higher bitrate than most, and it is 4K which looks really good when reduced to lower resolutions. You can use it single or dual, but the rear is only 1080 resolution, I prefer the A119 V3 at the back, especially at night when it can be rather dark behind.

For night time, the A119 V3 is very hard to beat, especially if you look into firmware mods. It is not the cleanest image, possibly for movie making rather than number plate reading; the Nextbase 622 might be better, not my choice as a dashcam, but it does have a noise free image.

If you use an action camera, they normally give better exposure for movies, but less scope to adjust levels in the editing, you are probably better off with the dashcam if your aim is to record other road users rather than general scenery. Also remember that they have wider angle lenses than dashcams, often too wide and will include a lot of windscreen reflections even with a CPL, another advantage of the 4K A29 Pro, you can normally avoid all reflections with a CPL fitted, and maybe a small crop.

Back