Dashcam from China, ID please?

STUDIE

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hey guys,

Hoping you guys could help me out with this... I need an identification on this dashcam and want to know if anyone knows where I could find a firmware update for it.
It runs pretty decent and the quality is as good as the G1WH that I have. I like this one because it secures better than the G1WH. But I was wondering does anyone know what kind of firmware I can run on it?
The description is Novatek 96650 mini car dvr camera.... I checked it is a genuine novatek chip, the quality is very good. Can someone please ID this camera.

Thanks!

Attachments

• HTB1VWq1GVXXXXbYXVXXq6xXFXXXQ.jpg
    HTB1VWq1GVXXXXbYXVXXq6xXFXXXQ.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 34
the housing is a public model, which PCB etc is inside is very hard to know, if it works fine best to leave it alone

thanks for the heads-up. I'm going to leave it alone then. The camera works great, it feels better than my G1WH.

When you asking about some generic model offer also a picture of what firmware is installed in your dashcam.

enjoy,
Mtz

Do you know what the P button is for on the cam? I'll try to find the firmware and let you know, when it turns on it shows two motorcycles racing.

Link to product ( place of purchase ) .
The body is generic , stuffed with what ever the customer wants .
Is it made in more than one place ? or simply made to order ( price point ) ? from one factory .

There are a few hundred factories that do this low end public model product, could be from anywhere

I thought I am not allowed to post link to the place where I bought it from on the forums.
Let me take some pictures of the firmware and find out what it is running and let you guys know! Thanks.

hope you didn't pay that much for it :eek:

P button will be a file save button, you may need to press it twice if the screen is off

Got the version info. It is BSD-0330-2015-04-16-TV.

Any idea if there is another firmware I can use to make the images more clearer...

I ended up buying it at $60USD.

Got the version info. It is BSD-0330-2015-04-16-TV.

Any idea if there is another firmware I can use to make the images more clearer...

firmware updates are unlikely, what problem do you have with images that you're hoping to improve?

firmware updates are unlikely, what problem do you have with images that you're hoping to improve?
the night time view is not clear at all. i cannot really see the plates... during the day its great but at night its pretty bad.

the night time view is not clear at all. i cannot really see the plates... during the day its great but at night its pretty bad.

can you post a couple of screenshots?

a firmware update is unlikely to improve things unless there is some really obvious problem

Night time or even just low light is a blur on most / all dash and action cameras,
What happen is for the camera to make bright footage it lower the exposure timing to 1:30 second ( thats quite slow in this regard )
And so as you car is moving and not forgetting "target" vehicles too, then what the camera see in that 1:30 of a second every frame of your video is exposed you move and so what the camera see change.
And so you will see motion blur.

I bet if you park / stop some where at night and there is no movement is whats in front of your car, then everything look good ?

Daytime is no or little problem for cameras as there is so much light the camera is using much faster exposure times.

This is also why when you see footage from dashcam brands thats supposed to sell their camera, what you will see in regard to low light performance is the camera driving slowly in traffic going more or less just as slow.
And not forgetting this is properly also in a town thats lit up like las vegas at night.

So with those parameters then you can read the plates of the car that the camera car overtake slowly or camera car is passed by, but to be honest i think this is false advertising, no town here in Denmark have no way near the same ambient amounts of light at night as las vegas or some Chinese towns have.
Hell this time of day and this time of year you will be hard pressed to find those levels of light here in the middle of the day some times.

And since you are Canadian and so at least as far north on the globe as Denmark is, or even further north, then you will struggle with getting good crisp footage even in daylight this time of the year, and only way out of this would be if we got a lot of white "stuff" on the ground that i assume would raise the amount of ambient light for the cameras to work with.

Yeah, when the car is not in motion and the still image the image is very clear at night. But when the car starts to move and cross lanes its really hard to see the licence plates. In Canada our plates are smaller than the EU so the text and font is not as clear. If someone has a very bright LED licence plate light, it will over expose the plate not making the plate font visible at all.

I have a bigger problem at hand now, recently I've been trying to use the camera, every-time I start the car the camera gets stuck in the loading screen. It will not go into the main interface to start recording the video footage.
Any idea what maybe wrong? I've already tried to reset the camera with the little pin hole reset. But no luck.

Perhaps someone could tell me if I could flash another firmware on the camera? I was thinking of trying to flash the G1WH firmware to see if it works since it shares the same novatek processor?

Yeah, when the car is not in motion and the still image the image is very clear at night. But when the car starts to move and cross lanes its really hard to see the licence plates. In Canada our plates are smaller than the EU so the text and font is not as clear. If someone has a very bright LED licence plate light, it will over expose the plate not making the plate font visible at all.

this is normal

I have a bigger problem at hand now, recently I've been trying to use the camera, every-time I start the car the camera gets stuck in the loading screen. It will not go into the main interface to start recording the video footage.
Any idea what maybe wrong? I've already tried to reset the camera with the little pin hole reset. But no luck.

check your power supply, try a different memory card

Perhaps someone could tell me if I could flash another firmware on the camera? I was thinking of trying to flash the G1WH firmware to see if it works since it shares the same novatek processor?

more than likely you would just render the camera inoperative if trying a different firmware

Back