Dashcam with lots of storage, audio recording (shooting for 30 days@9hrs per day)

Sandals

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey there DashcamTalk,

I've been browsing around but I don't see this specific feature spoken of very often. I am looking for a dash cam that can consistently record for an average of 9 hours a day for up to 30 days. The resolution of the video capture isn't a big deal, while nice if it can record at 1080p, I understand that to have such a long term storage realistically the most we'd likely see if 720p or 480p. The audio is more important than the video for this system, the video will simply be used to give context to the audio.

Any suggestions of a dashcam for this purpose?

Mainly have to look for a dashcam that have SDXC support, though I doubt any can store up to 30 days of footage...

You should be able to get 15 days from the mini 0806 on the lowest quality video, although the two 128GB microSD cards will not be cheap. If you don't mind customising (hacking) the firmware then you can probably reduce the video bitrate to get 30 days at low but reasonable quality 720 video along with GPS tracking reasonably easily. The microphone is only really suitable for in-car sounds though, what are you trying to record?

You should be able to get 15 days from the mini 0806 on the lowest quality video, although the two 128GB microSD cards will not be cheap. If you don't mind customising (hacking) the firmware then you can probably reduce the video bitrate to get 30 days at low but reasonable quality 720 video reasonably easily. The microphone is only really suitable for in-car sounds though, what are you trying to record?
In-car sound is all we are after, I will look into the mini 0806. Any other competitors to this model just for comparison's sake?

Mio MiVue 658, have to Micro SD card slot, support up to 128gb.
http://www.mio.com.tw/products-MiVue-658-overview.htm
Unless it has an exceptionally low quality mode or you can modify the firmware then you wont get the 30 days.

The mini 0806 has two card slots and the advantage that you can use the AFT to modify the standard bitrates.

Some dashcams use full size SD cards which are available in higher sizes although I doubt any of those have two slots like the 0806 so probably don't have an advantage.

Note: at present there is a bug in the 0806 where if it will only properly use the two cards sequentially if it is not restarted, since you are only doing 9 hours a day you will need that bug fixed, there are other people waiting for that fix.

Unless it has an exceptionally low quality mode or you can modify the firmware then you wont get the 30 days.

The mini 0806 has two card slots and the advantage that you can use the AFT to modify the standard bitrates.

Some dashcams use full size SD cards which are available in higher sizes although I doubt any of those have two slots like the 0806 so probably don't have an advantage.

Note: at present there is a bug in the 0806 where if it will only properly use the two cards sequentially if it is not restarted, since you are only doing 9 hours a day you will need that bug fixed, there are other people waiting for that fix.
Do you think a Wi-Fi SD card paired with some other storage would be possible? I've never used a WiFi SD card but a couple of models on Amazon state that they can use them since they use full-size SD cards.

Not sure, but you would need a computer programmed to collect the recordings every so often, it's not going to be a simple, cheap or neat solution.

I don't know how far you can turn down the bitrate using the AFT, most people turn it up rather than down, but I don't see why it shouldn't go low enough to get 30 days of 9 hours on a single 128GB card, it will look like the shop in-store CCTV clips you see on TV by that point where you haven't a chance of recognising anyone but the sound will still be fine.

if the environment allows, why not just use a windows tablet or notebook with attached external storage if needed? you can use whatever camera you want as well as long as it plays nice with the capture software.

Back