Dashcams with USB power input cables

wibbly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Most dashcams (though I'm considering Viofo VS1 or Vantrue E1) have USB connections for power (at the camera). Of course cig. lighter or hardwire kits connect to 12V. I presume at the USB connector, it's a standard 5V supply, right? reason for asking is I'm considering a power connection via a 3rd party adaptor (https://dongar.tech/collections/mazda) that supplies 5V and want opinion that should indeed work.

A lot of dashcams come with a 12V charger that has the USB cable directly attached, so there is no USB-A plug to plug into your adaptor, but they will probably still work with an aftermarket cable.
Some dashcams come with USB-C connectors on their power cables, so again will not plug in.
If the dashcam is USB-C only then it is possibly not 5V, probably is, but not guaranteed.
If it is USB-A at the source end then it will be 5V, or at least I have never heard of one not being.
There are some dashcams that use 12V power to the camera.
You need to check.

On the Viofo dashcams, I think only the A329 is USB-C at the charger end of the cable, and I'm pretty sure that will work fine with a USB-A to USB-C 5V cable, and you can probably use an adaptor without problem.
I think I remember one of the Viofo dashcams not having a USB-A plug at the charger, can't remember which, the VS1 on their website shows a charger with USB-A plugs, and it would work with a non-Viofo cable anyway, as long as it is a good quality one.

I don't have the A329, so I'm not sure of this, but the A329 is powered through the GPS mount (the USB C port is used to connect to an external SSD) which I believe is the same one that was used for the A 229 I don't believe the GPS mount has a USB C connection, so the A329 must be using 5V.
But this is the internet, so I'm sure I'll be corrected if I am wrong.

Back