Dead Mobius: 12v Killer?

The new battery from Joovuu made no difference. True to their word, and going beyond expectations as I was up front with the supplier as to the reasons for failure of the Mobius, they supplied me with a new one and a usb adapter. :) Thanks for your advice.

Dear richardjames2005,
Thanks for your reply. OK! We will send you a new camera with gift, the tracking number is AG009505258CN. The parcel will be shipped out today. Hope you can get the parcel soon.

2014-02-14 17:00 GMT+08:00 eBay 會員: richardjames2005 <<Email address removed in line with eBay policy>>:

To: eletoponline365
Subject: Re: 關於: 其他: richardjames2005 就 Mobius ActionCam Full HD Sports Camera 1080P 30FPS 720P 60FPS Pocket Camcorder,編號為151071891306 的物品寄出訊息
Sent Date: 14-Feb-14 09:00:10 GMT

The new battery from Joovuu made no difference. True to their word, and going beyond expectations as I was up front with the supplier as to the reasons for failure of the Mobius, they supplied me with a new one and a usb adapter. :) Thanks for your advice.

Dear richardjames2005,
Thanks for your reply. OK! We will send you a new camera with gift, the tracking number is AG009505258CN. The parcel will be shipped out today. Hope you can get the parcel soon.

2014-02-14 17:00 GMT+08:00 eBay 會員: richardjames2005 <<Email address removed in line with eBay policy>>:

To: eletoponline365
Subject: Re: 關於: 其他: richardjames2005 就 Mobius ActionCam Full HD Sports Camera 1080P 30FPS 720P 60FPS Pocket Camcorder,編號為151071891306 的物品寄出訊息
Sent Date: 14-Feb-14 09:00:10 GMT
Wow, that's great! Did you have to send the old one back? Nice to see sellers with good customer service, they make happy repeat customers.

Sounds like you did nothing wrong anyway so they did the right thing, less than 1A USB may hurt the battery over time but shouldn't completely kill the camera :)
Glad it's sorted :)

The new battery from Joovuu made no difference. True to their word, and going beyond expectations as I was up front with the supplier as to the reasons for failure of the Mobius, they supplied me with a new one and a usb adapter.

I think JooVuu would be very happy if you posted a kind word at http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/forums/owner-feedback-on-vendors.27/ , where your feedback will reach a wider audience.

Correction. I now realise that it was Eletoponline365 that sent you the replacement Mobius, so they deserve the credit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you did nothing wrong anyway so they did the right thing, less than 1A USB may hurt the battery over time but shouldn't completely kill the camera :)
Glad it's sorted :)

Doubtless @Isoprop will correct me if I'm wrong, however, I think that insufficient external power supply is linked not only with premature LiPo failure, but the heat generated has also written-off the whole camera in some cases, & may be the underlying cause of the 'heat issue', particularly when inadequate power supply coincides with hot weather to produce a Mobius-killing combination.

Post #92 is what I was trying to recall...

http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/mobius-super-capacitor.3166/page-5#post-42485

Doubtless @Isoprop will correct me if I'm wrong, however, I think that insufficient external power supply is linked not only with premature LiPo failure, but the heat generated has also written-off the whole camera in some cases, & may be the underlying cause of the 'heat issue', particularly when inadequate power supply coincides with hot weather to produce a Mobius-killing combination.

Post #92 is what I was trying to recall...

http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/mobius-super-capacitor.3166/page-5#post-42485
Very true. If I remember correctly, the developer mentioned that a low quality external power supply can destroy the battery, and maybe the Mobius as well, within a very short time.

Interesting. I have two 12v-5v converters on the way. I got them from
eBay action. One I got for $1.29
The other I got for $.99. No other bider that day. Should I just throw them out?
How can I test them?
The sellers handle is supermario-au.

I did post back the old one as the supplier asked for it (a few quid).
I will make sure I use a min of 1A connection to the car electrics, or run it off the battery only on short trips.
Thanks for your advice: I'm certainly more knowledgable for having been on here.

The other I got for $.99. No other bider that day. Should I just throw them out?
How can I test them?
Just be careful to check that they have an output of at least 1A. One of the things I learned here is that all USB connections are 5v, but some give only 500mA, which is not enough to power the Mobius while it's recording. The Chinese supplier uses a 1A USB converter. I have seen some for sale at 2A. Also check without connecting the Mobius to see if the converter works loose (as mine did), as cutting the current while it's running can harm Mobius.

Just be careful to check that they have an output of at least 1A. One of the things I learned here is that all USB connections are 5v, but some give only 500mA, which is not enough to power the Mobius while it's recording. The Chinese supplier uses a 1A USB converter. I have seen some for sale at 2A. Also check without connecting the Mobius to see if the converter works loose (as mine did), as cutting the current while it's running can harm Mobius.

If the Mobius parameter "Auto Power-On Record" is set, cutting power to the camera while it is running is unlikely to harm it. Cutting the power will merely shut it down. This of course, is why we can use the Mobius as a dash cam. If power comes back on during the 15 second recording delay, this will not harm the camera either.

Here is the relevant section from the manual.

Auto Power-on Record
"If this parameter is set, the Mobius will start recording as soon as external USB power is connected or the camera is turned on. Recording can be stopped and started manually by pressing the Shutter button. The camera will always be turned off when USB power is removed, but, assuming the camera's internal battery has sufficient power, there is a 15 second delay before the recording stops. If power is reconnected during this delay, the camera will resume normal operation"

If the Mobius parameter "Auto Power-On Record" is set, cutting power to the camera while it is running is unlikely to harm it. Cutting the power will merely shut it down. This of course, is why we can use the Mobius as a dash cam. If power comes back on during the 15 second recording delay, this will not harm the camera either.

Here is the relevant section from the manual.

Auto Power-on Record
"If this parameter is set, the Mobius will start recording as soon as external USB power is connected or the camera is turned on. Recording can be stopped and started manually by pressing the Shutter button. The camera will always be turned off when USB power is removed, but, assuming the camera's internal battery has sufficient power, there is a 15 second delay before the recording stops. If power is reconnected during this delay, the camera will resume normal operation"
Thanks for that: it is reassuring.

How can I test them?
The adapters should have a label or printing on them stating the output. Also, the eBay description may mention it. If it does not say 1A or more for the USB, I'd not risk it, especially as your winning bids were so low.

Back