Definitive solutions for a parking battery??

Mojiko

Reaction score
Country
United States
New here with a collection of AntiGravity PPS

XP-10 Micro-Start with 18,000 mAh LI-ion capacity (252Wh)​

I had a eureka moment recently while looking at all the PPSs (personal power supply's I own because of some older cars with questionable alternators) only to come to this forum to discover its many threads on this topic.
There seems to have been a bit of drama on a few threads, some good suggestions as well. I picked up the term of “pass thru charging” as a necessary specification for those requiring charging whilst driving.

Anyway my scenario is a bit different:
drive to/from a weekend house Fri/Sun, car sits on the street M-F. Thus the need for extended battery in Parking mode.
Since it is a long week, and I have several PPSs, I thought I could even swap batteries mid-week if needed.

I’m a Blackvue guy (900S, 900X, 650S, 590S all 2ch) but on principle I never spent the $$ on dashcam batteries. With the PowerMagicPro I get less than a day of motion on NYC streets because it’s constantly triggered.

I noticed antigravity sells several connectors: Cig via ec5 connector to supply the blackvue, then connect supply power to PPS via add a fuse and possibly integrate a Switched cig lighter to connect car/PPS as required.

What my idea is lacking is know-how and finesse to make it simple and easy, on top of dependable. I have no background in electronics though I should from all the lights/radars/dash cams I’ve installed over the years.

At the end of the day, we know there are high capacity batteries (Li-ion or LiFePo4) readily available. I’m sure there are many here that think the same, that spending over $300 for one of those batteries is a bit much, especially with all the newer higher-cap/cheaper products in the past year, however after a bit of reading I’m not sure if I have more answers than questions.

Maybe get a stickie list started of what worked and what didn’t in what context.

***Any thoughts on swapping my MicroStart batteries and the wiring / circuitry required to play well with Parking mode is appreciated.
Basically to run off car alternator while driving, then flicking a switch to run Parking mode via external battery.
Fully charging via fuse panel while driving is a lower priority (free power via home solar with already owned PSSs) or a bonus, than having a great battery powering the dashcam for extended times, even continuously, limited by memory.

PS I recently got an EcoFlow DeltaPro for my home, that led me to the River 2, then the Anker 521 powerhouse -both 256Wh for $240. While large, they do output to 12v car plugs and they can do triple duty (home, camping) as required. They can sit on back floor or trunk.

The next challenge would be to get a weeks worth of 4k footage to a SSD wirelessly.

Thanks,

I installed a 100Ah LiFePO4 battery in my trunk that recharged when I drove. The only thing I forgot to do was install a relay to disconnect the starter battery from the DC/DC charger when the car was parked. It was expensive with the tools and materials, but I think it definitely was cheaper when comparing how much it would cost to purchase the equivalent amp-hours in dash cam specific battery packs:

The easier thing to do would be two buy two LiFePO4 batteries and have one in the car in use and the other one inside charging and just swap them out when needed. As far as one weeks worth of footage, the only thing I've seen that would make it possible is a NVR dash cam setup targeted towards commercial drivers. The specs for it says you can install a 4TB hard drive in the main unit. I believe it had cellular modem coverage, but I don't think you would be able to download that much footage over a data plan without being extremely rich.

It says it supports WIFI which might make the wifi footage transfer possible if your car was within range of where you lived, but at that point you might be better off pointing a security camera out your window at your car.

Back