Did I buy the wrong camera

chetc

Reaction score
Country
United States
my wife is heavily into dog training, she uses an Sony digital camera which is basically a snap shot camera with a video option. so for Christmas I figured i'd get her an action camera to record her dog training, well for starters she messed with it for a few hrs, she first said why this fish eye the edges are radiused, she hates that, so i guess the 170deg FOV was a mistake, so i will take it as i made the wrong decision for her purpose, some say i might find a narrower view lense, not sure, unless there is a setting on my camera where i can change the FOV to get rid of the rounded edges, if i had to get her another camera if i don't get my ThiEYE T5E to do what she wants, what would be a better choice, maybe an action camera is really not what ii am after, any suggestions

my wife is heavily into dog training, she uses an Sony digital camera which is basically a snap shot camera with a video option. so for Christmas I figured i'd get her an action camera to record her dog training, well for starters she messed with it for a few hrs, she first said why this fish eye the edges are radiused, she hates that, so i guess the 170deg FOV was a mistake, so i will take it as i made the wrong decision for her purpose, some say i might find a narrower view lense, not sure, unless there is a setting on my camera where i can change the FOV to get rid of the rounded edges, if i had to get her another camera if i don't get my ThiEYE T5E to do what she wants, what would be a better choice, maybe an action camera is really not what ii am after, any suggestions

GitUp's Git2P has a 90° lens option, could look at that.

Could change the lens on the T5e with a narrower one, a bit of DIY involved. Check YT for action camera lens swap videos.

An action camera will be good here, but it needs to be one with the specific qualities she needs. To use a tripod and record the training routine a 120 deg FOV should be enough, and less may be better. The narrower the FOV the sharper the image can be. To use it hand-held wants excellent image stabilization. And it needs excellent image quality regardless. Past that I can't help much, these cams being out of my league, but my next-door-neighbor sells dog-training vids done with an oldish digicam, while her dog show still pics are done with a top end DSLR ;)

Phil

Here i am using the SJ7 star in 1080p mode with EIS / gyro on, this do narrow the FOV down a bit.
Having EIS / gyro on cameras like this mean only the middle 2.1 mpix of the sensor are used to generate the picture out of the total 14 mpix sensor, so to stabilize the footage the camera can chase this smaller bit of footage around the sensor, and this make it less shaky.
The camera of yours might also have a few options for FOV ( field Of View ) this pretty much do the same, that is using a smaller part of the sensor instead of the whole thing, and towards the middle of the sensor the fish eye effect are less pronounced.
So maybe have her play around with this if she haven't already.

Other option are to get the narrow FOV GIT 2 as mentioned or maybe run the footage thru some software that can remove the fisheye effect, pinnacle studio 21 ultimate have just gotten this, there might also be some gopro software that can do it.
Other editing software probably also have lens correction features too.

The resulting footage are up scaled to 4K as youtube handle that better than the original 1080p footage.

I am the only good person in FIEs life, her owner and whoever well they get towed behind her, and smaller people dont dare to walk her unless i am there.
With me she is pretty good though meeting other dogs are still a bit of a problem, not danger wise, just the dog think another dog close by mean PLAYTIME, she are not a danger but her size do scare some people.
And her eager to get into play time are a put off on some dogs i can tell, but she have never been in a fight and i let her meet all dogs on our path.

First time small dog walker, not really a problem, just the will to do it right and a bit of practice.
And uncle Brian close by
But sadly no one have the will to do it right :confused:

Last edited:
Back